Army

My son was diagnosed at 11, he has done remarkably well in his GCSE's but is determined to join the Army. He has always been interested in anything military, and even went through the first stage of the recruitment process. The gentleman that interviewed him was full of praise and admiration for the research, knowledge and his overall conduct during the interview. He also attended the fitness test and did well, we then had to fill in his medical details and hit the brick wall even though we had disclosed his diagnosis at interview and on all earlier paperwork. My son has noted that if his medical report regarding his diagnosis says that a further review would be of benefit when older that the army have to let him be reassessed before they turn him down. I know that he is probably not going to be allowed to join up but does anyone know of people being reassessed when older and if so how we would go about it.

Many thanks 

Parents
  • I would think long and hard about whether the army would suit a person with an ASD.

Autistic people frequently suffer bullying because we stand out from the crowd. The army thrives on conformity and bullying is an endemic problem there. We are not well equipped to make a cheeky retort to nip this sort of thing in the bud.

The authoritarian regime may offer a seemingly predictable and regimented life but actually the regimentation is all about learning to do as you are told when you are in a very demanding and rapidly changing situation. A battlefield is not a predictable and routine situation.

I read a thread on  an american site where some prospective recruits were talking about hiding their autism from a system that was trying to stop autistic people joining. It struck me that the US Army had probably worked out that ASD people don't make great soldiers and that it made no sense to allow or encourage people like that to join up.

In the ARRSE thread quoted by IntenseWorld there seemed to be a question about whether the officer concerned was actually on the spectrum. He didn't strike me as a typical sufferer.

• I have serious concerns about the DSM-5 criteria myself: how can someone be diagnosed in the intellectual élite in one breath and then in the intellectually-challenged the next? Attwood, for example, doesn't even accept evidence for high functionality. Further questions show no research has been done into the mindset, and with MRI and EEG data on myself, my mind runs with up to 9 times the resouce available to a neurotypical, allowing me to handle far more, complex and contradictory data. He simply can't follow me (as the Army observed!). I risk overload, being protected by my neuroceptive subconscious in an Innate Alarm System freeze. I far prefer the Markrams' Intense World Syndrome.

• I have serious concerns about the DSM-5 criteria myself: how can someone be diagnosed in the intellectual élite in one breath and then in the intellectually-challenged the next?

There is of course ASD Level 1 describing 'without accompanying intellectual or language impairment', and also the thing with "Socially Inept Genius Pattern" as some refer to it.

• Sure I have been looking at RK Blythe on your recommendation previously Slight smile 

• It is where you are - Organisation isn't necessary. Learn to use choans and haiku for yourself, within prayer-meditation. DT Suziki's and RK Blythe's are starters before moving onto the classics. All we're dealing with is an Areopagite situation, "To the unknown God". "In my Father's house there are many mansions: the distinction is that direct repentant confession clear the channels. Matt 6.

• It is where you are - Organisation isn't necessary. Learn to use choans and haiku for yourself, within prayer-meditation. DT Suziki's and RK Blythe's are starters before moving onto the classics. All we're dealing with is an Areopagite situation, "To the unknown God". "In my Father's house there are many mansions: the distinction is that direct repentant confession clear the channels. Matt 6.

Children