Army

My son was diagnosed at 11, he has done remarkably well in his GCSE's but is determined to join the Army. He has always been interested in anything military, and even went through the first stage of the recruitment process. The gentleman that interviewed him was full of praise and admiration for the research, knowledge and his overall conduct during the interview. He also attended the fitness test and did well, we then had to fill in his medical details and hit the brick wall even though we had disclosed his diagnosis at interview and on all earlier paperwork. My son has noted that if his medical report regarding his diagnosis says that a further review would be of benefit when older that the army have to let him be reassessed before they turn him down. I know that he is probably not going to be allowed to join up but does anyone know of people being reassessed when older and if so how we would go about it.

Many thanks 

• Sure I have been looking at RK Blythe on your recommendation previously Slight smile 

• It is where you are - Organisation isn't necessary. Learn to use choans and haiku for yourself, within prayer-meditation. DT Suziki's and RK Blythe's are starters before moving onto the classics. All we're dealing with is an Areopagite situation, "To the unknown God". "In my Father's house there are many mansions: the distinction is that direct repentant confession clear the channels. Matt 6.

• yes i have been reading myself about the connection between the Mystic Christian meditation and the Zen Meditation (Just sitting). This happened by accident when I read a book about Meditation and didnt notice it was Mystic Christian and not Zen Slight smile

I also know there are move by German and Japanese Buddhists and Christians to create a new future "Zen" which is a cross between Christianity and Zen. Not sure where there that is right now.  

• I worked in the European defence diplomatic HQ on the crisis management team. I'm not disordered, I'm quite at home with my neurodiversity and consider that approach offensively discriminatory. I was the child of someone who was almost certainly Aspie too. Of course, if you'd prefer to do without PWR nuclear reactors, hip implants and the respirators his structure whistled up a year ago, go right ahead, or my own contribution, a decent chunk of the 2012 Peace Prize for starters. I've a pretty big chip on my shoulder about neurotypical shrinks not having done their homework, as it looks as if the problem's the log in the eye of the beholder.

My 2015 manifestation was in full view not only of Harley Street, but also of half the Cabinet, in the Savile Club. It's no surprise the Cabinet Office is now looking for weirdos and misfits. In fact, I no longer buy the High Functioning Disorder contradiction. Just because a Nazi confused common symptoms doesn't give grounds for ongoing discrimination: at least some work's starting into the top end of the bell curve, too much effort was put into making silk purses out of sows ears at the other end over the last century. The only plea I would make is to let us do the work: there's been too much brainsplaining as it is.

• We now know from trauma treatment that meditation is cognitively-suppressed mentation, based in the limbic brain. It is not therefore to be defined by some sect, whether Buddhist, Christian, mindfulness, you name it. However, the portal these offer into it does colour the environment, principally as regards numinous presence or otherwise. Christianity in Japan has a very distinct flavour, as a result of the zen philosophy, as both are founded in Lao Tzu's aphorism, Blessed are the meek, expressed 200 years before Christ. Effectively, the full Matthew 6 confessional is a very effective way to clear the channels, the most effective I know. Usui's circle is said to have practiced it, although there are counter-claims that this claim was for marketability in the West: all I know is that it works.

Zen meditation is less mindful, less busy than mantric gechniques, more open to calm reflection, and shares much with Christian methods of waiting on the divine. It has its own version of transcendence, Satori, although nothing really matches full communion.

• what is "Zen Christian" meditation ?

• I've been looking at the neurodiversity angle and discovered High Sensitivity, which wasn't talked about. One of my traits in the diagnosis is Hyperperception, taking High Sensitivity to an extreme. After a lot more research, I don't get past 3 symptomatic traits in the diagnosis, namely communications issues, obsession, and meltdown. I'll split the latter in two, both Innate Alarm System responses, trauma and Pavlov's Transmarginal Inhibition, with a possible third, HS. Others may exist, I'm talking subjectively.

Communication is a two-way process. One talks, the other understands. Except the scale of my ND mind models are far greater than an NT can follow. An EEG showed I'm using between 30%(at rest) and near 100% of my brain. After allowing for experiential short-term memory, an NT uses 5%. He doesn't have a hope if I say it all. If I condense it, he might, but if anything interests him enough to want to go into detail, his eyes soon glaze over. And without it, he lacks the background to follow. I liken it to two identical PCs, one with an up to date Operating System which uses all its memory, the other with an out of date one which can only use 5%. Which is disordered?

Of course, building new models on that scale can take a lot of work, because the work's new research and the data interpretation crucial. To an NT, that can seem obsessive. We're building Rome, and the NT, experienced in instant gratification, can't understand that we search far and deep to find the key gem.

The entire history of the diagnosis is founded on various NTs wondering why we're not like them. It's time to flip the coin: why aren't they like us? We're not over-excitable, they're just slow. I don't have communication issues, they have understanding issues. I'm not obsessive, but careful, precise, checking and corroborating. They'd melt down too if they'd suffered what most of us have, or used their brains properly. 

As a result, in my search for wider traits, I see a starter in Elaine Aron's High Sensitivity thesis, I go way further as a seer medium, which is what hyperperception codes to. One employed in the European State Department. Do you recall Donald Trump on codebreaking last November? It's hard to get the jump on me. I've explained the rest. If by Socially Inept you mean I should aspire to the dumb tribal norms around, forget it. They cast me out aged 9, so I'm not interested in following the herd, they go where I point. It's the same message right the way through, normalisation becoming stultification as one path, innovation becoming progress the other. I have a decent share of the 2012 Nobel Peace Prize to show for it, my personal initiatives having led the way in the reunification of Europe and resolving Clausewitz maxim: given that wars always end in peace, why start? The Continuation of Policy by better means.

The research into high performance is starting. Craig Wright, whose The Maze and the Warrior gave a third of my core thesis in the Renaissance study, started Yale's Genius School last year, but his approach is flawed: a genius is well on his way by then. Now we see High Sensitivity. What I'm looking for is a more balanced assessment now. Both brain hemispheres, IQ and EQ. My hyperperception's empathic in part, so it balances my intellect.

And above all else, what do others report? I can break my Reiki Mastery down into meridian awareness, diplomatic long-distance empathy, and zen christian meditation, as a portal on the numinous. Can we do the same with telekinesis? What other gifts? Has anyone cracked Heisenberg?

• Although not the Army, on a related theme there was a story in the news media recently about someone with autism who has done well in the Navy.  

"Second Sea Lord Vice Admiral Nick Hine reveals he is autistic after being diagnosed 10 years ago

Vice Admiral Nick Hine has revealed he is autistic after being diagnosed 10 years ago and said that the military needs more ‘neurodiversity’.

The Second Sea Lord, 55, opened up about his condition as he encouraged others with autism to join the armed forces.

Hine said that the only way the British military could compete with adversaries that have more advanced technology and larger funds would be through ‘thinking differently’ and hiring people with neurological disorders. ... ".

https://broread.com/2021/03/12/second-sea-lord-vice-admiral-nick-hine-reveals-he-is-autistic-after-being-diagnosed-10-years-ago/

• Its the Israel Defence force

• You have to have  Jewish origin and that’s based on people in the US.. not the U.K 

• Join the IDF, they allow autistic soldiers.

• I don’t know if this will help but I’ve done loads of research and asked the army themselves snd in the “army bible” it basically says they will not take anyone with a ASD diagnosis.

my 17 year old son is currently on a military prep course, I queried this as before I’d found no info.

I was told by the course manager that students with ASD who have run into difficulties regarding the ASD had succefully joined the armed forces with the help of the course managers, obviously their training etc and carrying out a military prep course. 

good luck on your journey! 

• Hi Harry if you are still active on here would we be able to chat as having similar problems

Edited by Moderator (email address removed)

• I have serious concerns about the DSM-5 criteria myself: how can someone be diagnosed in the intellectual élite in one breath and then in the intellectually-challenged the next?

There is of course ASD Level 1 describing 'without accompanying intellectual or language impairment', and also the thing with "Socially Inept Genius Pattern" as some refer to it.

• I have serious concerns about the DSM-5 criteria myself: how can someone be diagnosed in the intellectual élite in one breath and then in the intellectually-challenged the next? Attwood, for example, doesn't even accept evidence for high functionality. Further questions show no research has been done into the mindset, and with MRI and EEG data on myself, my mind runs with up to 9 times the resouce available to a neurotypical, allowing me to handle far more, complex and contradictory data. He simply can't follow me (as the Army observed!). I risk overload, being protected by my neuroceptive subconscious in an Innate Alarm System freeze. I far prefer the Markrams' Intense World Syndrome.

• I've spent the last 6 months learning about trauma, and the good news is that it's mechanism has been identified. David Berceli's work pre-empts it, if applied before you sleep, and the choice off effective therapies to disarm the reflexes is considerable.

• I was an Officer Cadet with a TAVR University OTC for four years in the 1970s. During my Industrial Training Year, I came to the attention of a member of the TAVR Squadron of the SAS, and when it came to Commissioning, although the general infantry wouldn't accept me, on the grounds that the average Tom wouldn't understand me, the SAS put a job offer on the table. While considering it, I did the Platoon Commander's Course at the School of Infantry, coming top - in one exercise, I brought my section out of smoke within five feet of a Gurkha platoon position, catching the lot looking the other way. That earned me some very strange looks from the supervising Officer. I was every bit as good as the Regiment thought me, a very thorough background check revealed why the vacancy had arisen - and it wasn't one which allowed me to proceed. I therefore ghosted, as explaining a refusal would have been as deadly to me as it had been to the previous job holder, but landed in a job in business which had me under the eye of a vetter anyway. 15 years later, having attracted the eye of Lord Carrington for an excellent if unauthorised initiative at the start of the Falklands War, I was on the way to a Civvy post in the European Defence Diplomatic HQ, notionally as an accountant but really for my intelligence skills. Our guards were from the team which took the Iranian Embassy down, and my delivery made me a legend among those legends, not least because my ghosting sorted the mess the Command had made.

I wasn't diagnosed until 4 years after I retired.

An alternative to military service would be as one of the civvy staff supporting the military. What skills does he have, particullarly technical ones?

• just keep quiet if he passes all the tests he can stay. u just have to not mention it or play it down if it is detected. I absolutely believe u, that autistic people make great soldiers and I cant see why they cant be interlaced with NTs and become useful skilled people.. there are people within certain regiments who go out of their way to help people survive/stay they have a really good attitude to supporting people who want to serve.  

• Hi , I’ve just clicked on your first link and it’s no longer valid. I know this post and threads are old however are you able to tell me if a high functioning Asperger’s is able to join the Army ? 

my son is currently doing a level 3 military prep course at college. He is loving it snd doing well. 
    he has a recommendation letter from his work experience at an army camp. He will likely also have a great recommendation and have 2 years experience under his belt before joining up ( if he is allowed) 

At no point has anyone said he cannot join the forces and I’ve only read online tonight dispite looking prior to him starting his course that Asperger’s are not accepted ??

There is nothing he wants more than to make this his career,he is so set on joining up.

He has passed all fitness tests without a problem so far at college and works hard on his course and well within a team. 

he is very capable of becoming a soldier , I’m now just gutted that it seems unlikely he will be accepted please can you advise any information you know on this subject . Thank you 

• I would think long and hard about whether the army would suit a person with an ASD.

Autistic people frequently suffer bullying because we stand out from the crowd. The army thrives on conformity and bullying is an endemic problem there. We are not well equipped to make a cheeky retort to nip this sort of thing in the bud.

The authoritarian regime may offer a seemingly predictable and regimented life but actually the regimentation is all about learning to do as you are told when you are in a very demanding and rapidly changing situation. A battlefield is not a predictable and routine situation.

I read a thread on  an american site where some prospective recruits were talking about hiding their autism from a system that was trying to stop autistic people joining. It struck me that the US Army had probably worked out that ASD people don't make great soldiers and that it made no sense to allow or encourage people like that to join up.

In the ARRSE thread quoted by IntenseWorld there seemed to be a question about whether the officer concerned was actually on the spectrum. He didn't strike me as a typical sufferer.