Army

My son was diagnosed at 11, he has done remarkably well in his GCSE's but is determined to join the Army. He has always been interested in anything military, and even went through the first stage of the recruitment process. The gentleman that interviewed him was full of praise and admiration for the research, knowledge and his overall conduct during the interview. He also attended the fitness test and did well, we then had to fill in his medical details and hit the brick wall even though we had disclosed his diagnosis at interview and on all earlier paperwork. My son has noted that if his medical report regarding his diagnosis says that a further review would be of benefit when older that the army have to let him be reassessed before they turn him down. I know that he is probably not going to be allowed to join up but does anyone know of people being reassessed when older and if so how we would go about it.

Many thanks 

Parents
  • Autism is a lifelong neurological condition, you don't grow out of it.  The only issue would be is if he was misdiagnosed as autistic and has something else instead.  Although whatever that might be could also prevent him joining up.  You may find this interesting:

http://www.arrse.co.uk/join-army-regular-officer-recruiting/156814-officer-aspergers-syndrome.html

"I'm an aspie and I'm in the TA so no there is no bar to joinging the army with aspergers - no matter what they tell you at the careers information office. Just make sure that your son is honest about it and there shouldn't be a problem. There is a thread on the recruiting forum about aspegers you might want to read:

http://www.arrse.co.uk/rhq-personnel...gers-army.html

I'm not an officer but if you have any questions, PM me."

http://www.army.mod.uk/join/20157.aspx

(BTW if no-one ever challenges staff who are mistaken, then people can be prevented from doing something they rightfully can.)

• Hi , I’ve just clicked on your first link and it’s no longer valid. I know this post and threads are old however are you able to tell me if a high functioning Asperger’s is able to join the Army ? 

my son is currently doing a level 3 military prep course at college. He is loving it snd doing well. 
    he has a recommendation letter from his work experience at an army camp. He will likely also have a great recommendation and have 2 years experience under his belt before joining up ( if he is allowed) 

At no point has anyone said he cannot join the forces and I’ve only read online tonight dispite looking prior to him starting his course that Asperger’s are not accepted ??

There is nothing he wants more than to make this his career,he is so set on joining up.

He has passed all fitness tests without a problem so far at college and works hard on his course and well within a team. 

he is very capable of becoming a soldier , I’m now just gutted that it seems unlikely he will be accepted please can you advise any information you know on this subject . Thank you 

• just keep quiet if he passes all the tests he can stay. u just have to not mention it or play it down if it is detected. I absolutely believe u, that autistic people make great soldiers and I cant see why they cant be interlaced with NTs and become useful skilled people.. there are people within certain regiments who go out of their way to help people survive/stay they have a really good attitude to supporting people who want to serve.  

• just keep quiet if he passes all the tests he can stay. u just have to not mention it or play it down if it is detected. I absolutely believe u, that autistic people make great soldiers and I cant see why they cant be interlaced with NTs and become useful skilled people.. there are people within certain regiments who go out of their way to help people survive/stay they have a really good attitude to supporting people who want to serve.  

Children
No Data