NHS health check

Good morning,

I had a text message from the surgery about having a free NHS health check. Phoned up straight away and got through quickly (a miracle); the receptionist booked me for 18th April in the morning. Failed to ask which surgery I preferred at the beginning.

Feeling bit nervous. I got this fear that the health care assistant will refer me to a dietitian. A family member does buy high cholesterol food in a supermarket and online delivery. Another family member and i tried to explain several times. Is that something I should explain at the appointment? If the chance arise?

Had the same text message from the chemist. High Street chemists are doing the NHS health checks.

Trying to walk fast and exercise during adverts.

Worth doing it.

You never know maybe OK in the end. 

Parents
  • I'm not sure if it's related, but I got a health check through taking part in a current study to improve autistic adults' access to healthcare. If it is similar, they ask lots of questions to do with every area of your life, housing situation, finance, nutrition, exercise, relationships, and allow you to share as much or as little as you like. At the end you can create a personal health plan of goals you want to achieve, although I'm not sure if this is for just those taking part in the study or for all health checks. 

• The over 40s health check is very basic and doesn't ask lots of questions like that. Last time I went they just did blood tests and checked things like blood pressure and weight, etc.

It is a good idea to introduce annual health checks like you describe for autistic adults. Hopefully the study you are participating in will result in a wider roll out of such checks. Accessing health care can be so difficult for us.

• The over 40s health check is very basic and doesn't ask lots of questions like that. Last time I went they just did blood tests and checked things like blood pressure and weight, etc.

It is a good idea to introduce annual health checks like you describe for autistic adults. Hopefully the study you are participating in will result in a wider roll out of such checks. Accessing health care can be so difficult for us.

Children
No Data