Yoga and Autism

I normally link negative experiences to the fact that I’m autistic and tend to think about how I struggle with things. 

Gyms are places I find overwhelming, bright lights, lots of people, no idea what I’m actually doing. 

I’ve found a gym with soft lighting, who gave me a timetable of times the gym is generally less busy and took the time free of charge to show me equipment I would realistically use. 

I have now attended a few yoga classes with the same instructor who without prompt, changes the lights from spotlights, does not use music, switches on and off the AC so there is limited noise and it is only on when required. 

He also does not give vague instructions about breathing and is literal in the timings and gives options for you to find which rhythm suits you best. He does a meditation at the end where he talks quite literally and tells you to think of situations where you believed you felt (.e.g joy, proud, safe) and asks you to recognise what you physically feel in your body to help recognise these emotions and generate them. 

I hope that as there is more awareness and acceptance that more gym instructors will operate this way as I used to believe that I hated all forms of exercise. 

I wondered if there is any other autistic females who enjoy physical fitness who are able to share what works for them and how to communicate this so I could perhaps find more things that I enjoy. 

Parents
  • I found an understanding gym, too. One of the instructors I get the other I don't but I do enjoy having someone to just imitate and dance to. I was afraid of the machines at first but watching and asking kind people how to use them helped and my body and mind are better off for it. For the noise I use noise canceling headphones, for the lights, best I can do is set the machine or pose up and close my eyes. I like the focus people have in a gym. they are each in their own routine. A lot of what makes a gym a success for me is the noise level.

• I found an understanding gym, too. One of the instructors I get the other I don't but I do enjoy having someone to just imitate and dance to. I was afraid of the machines at first but watching and asking kind people how to use them helped and my body and mind are better off for it. For the noise I use noise canceling headphones, for the lights, best I can do is set the machine or pose up and close my eyes. I like the focus people have in a gym. they are each in their own routine. A lot of what makes a gym a success for me is the noise level.

Children
No Data