Yoga and Autism

I normally link negative experiences to the fact that I’m autistic and tend to think about how I struggle with things. 

Gyms are places I find overwhelming, bright lights, lots of people, no idea what I’m actually doing. 

I’ve found a gym with soft lighting, who gave me a timetable of times the gym is generally less busy and took the time free of charge to show me equipment I would realistically use. 

I have now attended a few yoga classes with the same instructor who without prompt, changes the lights from spotlights, does not use music, switches on and off the AC so there is limited noise and it is only on when required. 

He also does not give vague instructions about breathing and is literal in the timings and gives options for you to find which rhythm suits you best. He does a meditation at the end where he talks quite literally and tells you to think of situations where you believed you felt (.e.g joy, proud, safe) and asks you to recognise what you physically feel in your body to help recognise these emotions and generate them. 

I hope that as there is more awareness and acceptance that more gym instructors will operate this way as I used to believe that I hated all forms of exercise. 

I wondered if there is any other autistic females who enjoy physical fitness who are able to share what works for them and how to communicate this so I could perhaps find more things that I enjoy. 

• Apologies Sam, late to the party with my comment, would you want to share an update on your yoga/ excersize journey?

Apologies for all the typos, hopefully it makes for a clue finding read.

• I am an Autistic and ADHD womxn, and have enjoyed Restorative yoga (where you use cushions and other props to support your body whilst you stay in a pose for a long time. - some classes might include this anyway, but I think if you have been burnt out or experience a lot of physical stress in the body it can be a comfort, or perhaps if you are depressed. (Also great at any other time)

Depending on what you are looking for from it, if you get comfortable with listening to your own bodies needs while you are doing it - e.g. my knees feel sore in this position so I can fold the edge of my May to make it thicker, or put my hand up and see if the teacher has something alternate I can try - it seems to give a sense of control, not just over your body, but in a healthy way.

Balancing postures can feel very empowering.

With all of it, I would say be brave to try some different classes and importantly teachers, if your not getting much from it, as it varies widely. 

There are some great online tutors, I'm sure others have their own. Yoga with Adrienne, although a celebrity yoga teacher now, they are a really good teacher in the way they describe movements quite literally, and have a welcoming approach that isn't about yoga as a completion to be git, or the perfect person. 

So grateful yoga found its way across the world, its so valuable. 

I think anyone who is unsure about it, could try a fee different varieties, as it varies so much. Not for everyone, but its something I always go back to and am grateful for, in difficult times especially, it can mean a lot.

I feel its good to learn about where it came from, not only from a respect and awareness point of view, but the histories can be very interesting.

Bit of a speel there, I enjoyed your post and reading everyone's comments.

Crys

• I don't like yoga, the movements feel weird and uncomfortable for me. I prefer to walk my mum's  dog through the woods or go for a cycle.

• I think more gyms could definitely learn from this. It can make when places pay attention to things like lighting, noise, and clear instructions, especially for people who need a bit more consideration. From what I've seen, using tools like the best software for gyms can really help gyms offer this kind of personalized experience. It makes it easier for them to keep track of members' preferences, manage schedules, and make sure everyone feels comfortable and supported.

• I walk, I have a dog to take me for walks, having osteoarthritis and hypermobile joints makes gyms pointless as they will only let me us the tread mill and exercise bike. I can' tsee the point of paying a shed load of money to go on a treadmill and then have to go home and walk with my dog.

Bicycle saddles are so uncomfortable, how do pople cope?

I used to do yoga at home I taught myself, from books, I loved it, but now I have to be careful of my joints.

I do love the feeling of my body moving the way it's supposed to, it rarely does that these days, yesterday I had a long walk and today my feet hips and knees ache, just as well its grey and windy, so it will be a couple of short walks in the park.

I used to have a skiing machine, it was great, I used it so often and was the best low impact exercise I've ever done, they all seem to have been replaced by cross trainers now and I don't like them, goimg up and down with my legs and back and forwards with my arms feels unnatural and I just can't do it.

Seeing as I don't play well with others and had horrible experiences of PE at school, I don't do groups.

• I enjoy it very much. the older I get the more rewarding it feels. The noise of the music i can manage with NC tech when I near the speakers. It would otherwise drive me out. Some times  Ican get them to turn the volume down.  I used to go the the exercise class but it got to crowded and the core group who I knew were out nubered by new seasonal people were too much.

So I do my own thing and its actually a better workout.

people at he gym are ,overall great as they are all there focusing on their own process. It's a lot like parallel play. I go X3weekly.

• Yoga can be super beneficial for people with autism. It's a great way to help with relaxation, focus, and social skills. I've seen it work wonders first hand. My friend's child, who has autism, started doing yoga a few years ago, and the change has been incredible. They found it helps with sensory processing and calming down when things get overwhelming. Plus, it's a fun way to exercise without feeling like a chore.
    If you're thinking about introducing yoga, consider finding a specialized class or instructor who has experience with autism. They can tailor the sessions to fit individual needs. Also, consistency is critical. Even short, regular sessions can make a big difference. If you're running a gym or fitness center and want to support your members better, using the best software for gyms can help manage schedules and track progress effectively.

• That sounds like a brilliant gym Sam. I haven't found a gym that I'm comfortable in yet but I have recently started 1 to 1 yoga sessions with a yoga instructor and I'm really enjoying it. I started it as a way to reconnect with my body after past emotional trauma /Complex PTSD. I always thought that I was uncoordinated and had poor balance but my teacher says I am actually very controlled and aware of my body which has massively improved my confidence. It seems that it was my difficulty in understanding the instructions that meant that I couldn't do yoga in the past but, as long as my teacher explains things clearly, I'm able to do more than I thought. The other thing that I've found really helpful is that she asks me if I'm comfortable doing something and always gives me the option to say no. 

• I found an understanding gym, too. One of the instructors I get the other I don't but I do enjoy having someone to just imitate and dance to. I was afraid of the machines at first but watching and asking kind people how to use them helped and my body and mind are better off for it. For the noise I use noise canceling headphones, for the lights, best I can do is set the machine or pose up and close my eyes. I like the focus people have in a gym. they are each in their own routine. A lot of what makes a gym a success for me is the noise level.

• Hello, I have been to a few yoga classes over the years, the meditation at the end was usually a Yoga Nidra, a guided body scan followed by “sleep”

That helped me a lot with my own meditation practice, it really taught me how to focus my attention to each body part and to some extent hold it there. 
    maybe ask the instructor to try one and if you like, let me know how you get on? 
    neil 

• Oh my coordination is bad as well, but not drastically and I’m confident enough that it comes across as a quirky personality trait more than anything. 

Water aerobics is a good shout. I’m assuming no one can see if you do it wrong as well! 

I hope you find peace in hiking and keep safe if it’s something you do alone. 

• I've always struggled massively with gyms and any type of group exercise classes. Like you say they are usually so bright, loud and overwhelming.

Having dyspraxia means that my balance and co-ordination is very poor. My processing times are slow too, which results in me following instructions in my own time zone a few seconds after everyone else.

Years ago I used to attend water aerobic classes and I enjoyed those. The force of the water meant that actions had to be slower for everyone and I was more able to keep up. Plus it was mainly attended by people much older than me which helped. 

I did try attending yoga classes a few years ago but my balance problems made most of the moves impossible for me. I would usually end up in a crumpled heap on the floor even just trying to stand on one foot Flushed

Nowadays my only exercise is hiking alone and I use hiking poles to try and keep myself upright.

• Hi Sam.

It’s great that your current yoga instructor understands your autistic needs.

If you are looking for more advice and tips about exercising while autistic you may find this video below helpful:

ADHD/neurodivergent and exercise:

https://www.youtube.com/live/aMgzUlSB-hs?si=SP4rDDK6HPgwqXCV

• It’s really heartening to hear that some gyms are aware and willing to make adjustments. I gave up on my gym because they put almost every possible barrier in my way, almost as if they were trying to discourage autistics.