Any support, advice for navigating the buying and selling of a house?

Hello, 

I am currently in the process of selling and buying a house.  I also work full time and live alone.  I am finding the whole process of buying and selling unbearable.  I have no parents or support network.  For example the survey was cancelled today, I have had to make over 15 phonecalls and I was struggling to speak/just shut down completely on the phone and then burst in to tears.

The sale of the house has gone fairly smoothly, but the purchase is behind so I begin catastrophizing about losing the buyer etc.  I appreciate buying a house is stressful, I haven't even gotten to the packing and moving stage, which to be honest is what I am dreading the most.   I feel like I have paid agents, brokers etc to handle the 'admin; side of things, which is where I struggle.  Oh and phonecalls!

Where would most people turn for advice and support on this issue?  It's really not an autism friendly process, especially when I am navigating a change in career as well as home.

I've been telling call handlers that I'm autistic- just to give myself the space to not be misinterpreted.  I also tell them that I find phonecalls difficult and that I have already been on a significant number of call sin that day so am drained.   I think my hopes were just really pinned on it happening today as well, because without it happening, the process feels lengthened which makes me even more anxious.

Apologies for rambling on, but if anyone has any tips or connections who might support with this, I'd be grateful.

Parents
  • Hi there

I'm doing the same thing currently.  I tried two years ago and it all fell through, which it turned out was for the best.  I have spent a couple of years getting ready to do it again and this time will be much more prepared.

You can't do anymore than you are able to, and I know that this is probably not what you want to hear and that right now you are in a hyperventilating place, but the fact is, the best thing you can do right now is to take some space from it.  An hour.  Have a bath, maybe take the day off.  Go to bed.  Count, meditate, whatever calms your mind....You will get more done and come at it with a clearer head tomorrow.  

There is only so much you can control/change...the rest is down to the Universe.  It will all be ok in the end, whatever happens.  

I couldn't find anyone to help, and I tried.  If you have put everything in place....estate agents, solicitor, surveyor....then turn your attention to what you can do....boxes, drafting letters to redirect post, inform utilities etc....But first, take a break, have a rest, reset and recalibrate.  Or you will burn out.

xx

• thank you- sorry i have been offline a while. As was the whole housebuying process

Reply Children
No Data