Any support, advice for navigating the buying and selling of a house?

Hello, 

I am currently in the process of selling and buying a house.  I also work full time and live alone.  I am finding the whole process of buying and selling unbearable.  I have no parents or support network.  For example the survey was cancelled today, I have had to make over 15 phonecalls and I was struggling to speak/just shut down completely on the phone and then burst in to tears.

The sale of the house has gone fairly smoothly, but the purchase is behind so I begin catastrophizing about losing the buyer etc.  I appreciate buying a house is stressful, I haven't even gotten to the packing and moving stage, which to be honest is what I am dreading the most.   I feel like I have paid agents, brokers etc to handle the 'admin; side of things, which is where I struggle.  Oh and phonecalls!

Where would most people turn for advice and support on this issue?  It's really not an autism friendly process, especially when I am navigating a change in career as well as home.

I've been telling call handlers that I'm autistic- just to give myself the space to not be misinterpreted.  I also tell them that I find phonecalls difficult and that I have already been on a significant number of call sin that day so am drained.   I think my hopes were just really pinned on it happening today as well, because without it happening, the process feels lengthened which makes me even more anxious.

Apologies for rambling on, but if anyone has any tips or connections who might support with this, I'd be grateful.

Parents
  • My family home and land sold in 2021, after a long and arduous process of finalising probates for my dead gran, granddad, dad and mum. The solicitor who took over the caseload, at the beginning of the 2020 lockdown, became proactive. Though I had to find out death dates of a few of granddad's siblings, in order to get death certificates.

The legal issues for the sale were dealt with by the solicitor and estate agent. I, then, used the same agency to buy the home I currently have. Also, a couple of rentals. Now, I can rest easy.

My brother also helped out, as he wanted to use his share to buy a home in Derry city. The solicitor advocated for him on certain issues.

My advice is to keep emailing the solicitor, if there are any delays. That keeps him or her on their toes.

• My family home and land sold in 2021, after a long and arduous process of finalising probates for my dead gran, granddad, dad and mum. The solicitor who took over the caseload, at the beginning of the 2020 lockdown, became proactive. Though I had to find out death dates of a few of granddad's siblings, in order to get death certificates.

The legal issues for the sale were dealt with by the solicitor and estate agent. I, then, used the same agency to buy the home I currently have. Also, a couple of rentals. Now, I can rest easy.

My brother also helped out, as he wanted to use his share to buy a home in Derry city. The solicitor advocated for him on certain issues.

My advice is to keep emailing the solicitor, if there are any delays. That keeps him or her on their toes.

Children
  • thanks for that. My buyer has been on the ball, but the seller hasnt even completed the paperwork- 43 days since i put the offer in.  I've text him today (gently) just to ask if the surveyor is arranged.  I am less than impressed with the estate agent handling the one im buying.  I think they were off work all of december!