Vaccines/learning disabilities: eligibility

I'm confused.

I've been invited for a 'flu vaccine even though I'm not within any of the vulnerable groups.

The invite states the '18-64 'at risk' group.

So, I just wondered whether autism is classed as a 'learning disability' with respect to this, as that is a 'vulnerable group' in the NHS list.

As far as I'm aware, autism is classed as a developmental disability but you can also have a learning disability with it.

Some do, some don't.

This has also set me wondering whether I will now be invited for a Covid vaccine on the same grounds.

Does anyone have any light to shed on this please (and has anyone else been unexpectedly invited to the Vaccine Party)?

Thanks.

Parents
  • I posted about this in my previous account as I was offered a covid vaccine earlier but no one believed me Rofl from a bit of research it seems because those with autism are more likely to have comorbitidies, and comorbidities are more likely to cause serious issues with covid (and I presume flu) I think we are now on the vulnerable list. 

• I think we are now on the vulnerable list

Thanks for that.

I wonder whether they just haven't update the public list* then.

I'd like to get the Covid vaccine as I have only had Covid once, this year, but ended up in hospital with it.

*Link below for anyone interested:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/flu-influenza-vaccine/

• It could potentially be down to individual surgery’s whether they put you on the list, I’m not sure. I know they won’t be offering the covid vaccine to as many groups as they did previously. Might be worth emailing your surgery to ask.

I should add, it was only down to my extensive searching on autism and covid that I found a paper suggesting we are more likely to have comorbidities and could potentially have worse symptoms, so I came to that conclusion myself. 

• doctors absolutely hate us doing it, because we’re stupid and they know far better, while they reach for a book on the shelf above their desk because they have no idea what’s wrong with you. 

Absolutely.

They can be so patronising.

• I agree, as long as you research properly- it’s put my mind at ease many a time! Though doctors absolutely hate us doing it, because we’re stupid and they know far better, while they reach for a book on the shelf above their desk because they have no idea what’s wrong with you. 

*Im sure there are some great doctors, I just haven’t met one yet. 

• didn’t mean to infer that you hadn’t researched it btw :)

I didn't take that inference, but thanks Blush

Yes, that's one of the blessings of the internet - that we can educate ourselves.

I find the internet particularly wonderful with regard to health problems.

I hate GP contact and, as I know a lot of people here do, avoid it wherever I can.

• didn’t mean to infer that you hadn’t researched it btw :)

I didn't take that inference, but thanks Blush

Yes, that's one of the blessings of the internet - that we can educate ourselves.

I find the internet particularly wonderful with regard to health problems.

I hate GP contact and, as I know a lot of people here do, avoid it wherever I can.

Children
  • doctors absolutely hate us doing it, because we’re stupid and they know far better, while they reach for a book on the shelf above their desk because they have no idea what’s wrong with you. 

Absolutely.

They can be so patronising.

• I agree, as long as you research properly- it’s put my mind at ease many a time! Though doctors absolutely hate us doing it, because we’re stupid and they know far better, while they reach for a book on the shelf above their desk because they have no idea what’s wrong with you. 

*Im sure there are some great doctors, I just haven’t met one yet.