How do you cope with health anxiety?

I think this is something the majority of us get.

Just talking on the phone is a BIG deal and causes so much anxiety and stress. And that's just talking to the usually rude receptionist.

I feel like there should be an email or text service to chat to your doctor, which would be better for autistic people.

We need more support and more useful tactics in this department. Stress is very real and so is health anxiety.

I might write to my mp and my surgery. Not sure it'll get me anywhere but it's got to be worth a go?

I know Dawn from here suffers from this as well. She does a lot to try and get improvements in the health sector for autistic people so this is something I'm going to try and do as well.

I'll keep you posted and update if I can get anywhere. Be good for us now and future generations of autistic people young and old.

• Hey Kate! Hope you and your family are all doing well in this intense heat.

• When you’re anxious, you subconsciously clench the mandibular muscles. The tension/fatigue makes them more likely to twitch. Which then increases the anxiety. Vicious cycle.

Try to relax, keep yourself busy and don't focus on the anxiety. We are here for you if you need us. Slight smile

• My anxiety is like the ocean sometimes there's big waves of it other times it's not too bad.

With my anxiety I get a lot of physical symptoms happen. They vary and come and go, sometimes very randomly, like today I don't feel particularly anxious and yet my jaw is spasming on the left side which is uncomfortable.

All anxiety. Worse since covid and sadly fills me with loneliness because I know my doctor can't really help me with it she just says to take medication or try to be more active and think positive.

I wish autistic doctors was a thing. Having no help and support professionally makes everything ten times worse.

• Thank you - that’s really kind of you :)

• Hi Kate Kestrel 

You have been on the forum for a while have you? Welcome back to your autistic community!

• Great suggestions - and good for all kinds of anxiety too.

• Yes, me too. Health Anxiety is a huge problem for me, and has got worse since the Pandemic and also after I was hospitalised for a serious illness. Getting help with this is far from easy, and people often don’t understand how hard it is to live with this. Like many on here I avoid all contact with medical services whenever possible. Just even reading this thread ,Ames me feel anxious! I don’t have medical screenings such a smear tests - I just can’t face them. I can’t even visit relatives if they’re in hospital. I spent a lot of time in hospital as a young child and I think this has been a factor for me - but being autistic I also can’t STAND the smells, the sounds, the horrible buildings etc. 

I just want to say to everyone else that struggles with this that I really empathise and I’m sorry - sending solidarity  x

• Coping with anxiety involves several effective strategies:

1. Deep Breathing: Practice deep, slow breaths to calm your nervous system when anxiety strikes.

2. Regular Exercise: Engage in physical activity to release endorphins, the body's natural stress-relievers.

3. Healthy Eating: Maintain a balanced diet to stabilize mood and energy levels.

4. Mindfulness Meditation: Cultivate mindfulness through meditation to stay present and reduce racing thoughts.

5. Social Connection: Share your feelings with friends or family for emotional support.

6. Professional Help: Consider therapy or medication if anxiety significantly impacts your life. Seeking help is a sign of strength, not weakness. 

7. You must visit [link removed by moderator] for more recommendations.
  • That's a fabulous system.

We don't have that here but I have emailed the GP practice about implementing such a system, though not heard back yet.

• Hi, if you live in England you can use the NHS app to message your GP, order prescriptions and book appointments. I often use it to message the surgery and book appointments without having to phone anyone. The messages are normally answered the same day and it shows if you have any referrals. The choice is also there to have either a face to face or zoom appointment. What I found very useful was it shows which medication I’m allergic to, I wasn’t aware of it as I was unconscious when it was administered.

• Yes!

My health anxiety not only causes me anxiety about potentially being ill but it also causes me anxiety that stops me going to see a doctor or dentist.

It's a vicious circle that never seems to stop going round and round.

We need more support and more useful tactics in this department. Stress is very real and so is health anxiety.

Yes definitely it is. It's not regarded as that big a deal by professionals but I think you have to experience it yourself to really get it.

There's not a lot of support out there for autism period. But I live in hope that things will change.

Good luck with your MP I hope you can get somewhere ^^

• It's truly comforting to find a community where we can openly discuss health anxiety and its impact on our lives. The struggle is real, and you're definitely not alone in feeling the way you do. Just the thought of a phone call can send shivers down my spine too. An email or text service for doctors sounds like a fantastic idea, especially for individuals who, like us, might find it more comfortable to communicate in writing.

The fact that you're considering reaching out to your MP and surgery shows your determination to bring about positive changes. It might not be an easy path, but every step taken is a step towards better support for all of us. Dawn's efforts are truly inspiring, and by joining in, you're contributing to a cause that can benefit not only the present but also the future generations of autistic individuals. Please do keep us updated on your progress. Your journey could be the beacon of hope many are looking for. Stay strong! Blue heart

Generated with the assistance of ChatGPT Español

• Hi

I find it much easier to write than to speak to most people on the phone. I have written to my GP surgery in the past, more than once, and sent emails. It is usually when im feeling particularly overwhelmed. It has worked for me. I dont feel the need to do it regularly, just when im feeling tired and overwhelmed. 

• Good luck I hope you can get somewhere. I tried to get my own Dr surgery to do an email or text service but they wouldn't do it as not enough of their patients would get use from it. 

Let's hope this will change globally one day.