My son is obese and I am so responsible

Hi , my little boy who is 6 and has autism is very overweight . We have had to buy him age 10-11 elasticacted school trousers. I feel awful , I know he has such an issue with food and that he only eats a handful of things but most are the wrong things, he hasn't really wanted do much through the holidays, he has been swimming a few times and just explodes if things don't go his way. I feel exhausted all the time and to be honest I give in to him very easy. I know all the things I should do , for one not buy the pigging stuff. (Crisps and chocolate biscuits) .

i suppose I just wondered if anyone who had been through the same and could give me any strategies that they had used to help their children.

I feel like a complete failure as a mum , I'm supposed to be giving him the best in life instead I'm turning him into an overweight little boy who will probably end up with health problems if I don't handle it now. His waist measures 31 inches , which shocked the hell out of me.

sorry for going on and Thankyou for reading

Parents
  • stranger said:
    Surely, you shouldn't add sugar to food, full stop?

There are all sorts of foods that you would add sugar (or another sweetener) to.  For instance, home-baked cakes, cookies, biscuits, puddings etc.  It's also sometimes used in moderation to balance the savoury ingredients in dishes that contain stronger, saltier flavours.  I agree that it's better not to eat sugar if you can avoid it, but some foods would be ruined without sweetening.  What about adults drinking tea or coffee that like a spoon of sugar in it?  When someone is in shock, they recommend a cup of hot, sweet tea.  Like all things, it should be done in moderation and this is the key to OP changing her son's diet.  It would be very difficult for him to change his food preferences, having been used to junk foods, to have sugar cut totally out of his diet in one fell swoop and she would likely face more resistance to the changes than she otherwise would.  Sometimes a gradual approach is needed.

• stranger said:
    Surely, you shouldn't add sugar to food, full stop?

There are all sorts of foods that you would add sugar (or another sweetener) to.  For instance, home-baked cakes, cookies, biscuits, puddings etc.  It's also sometimes used in moderation to balance the savoury ingredients in dishes that contain stronger, saltier flavours.  I agree that it's better not to eat sugar if you can avoid it, but some foods would be ruined without sweetening.  What about adults drinking tea or coffee that like a spoon of sugar in it?  When someone is in shock, they recommend a cup of hot, sweet tea.  Like all things, it should be done in moderation and this is the key to OP changing her son's diet.  It would be very difficult for him to change his food preferences, having been used to junk foods, to have sugar cut totally out of his diet in one fell swoop and she would likely face more resistance to the changes than she otherwise would.  Sometimes a gradual approach is needed.

Children
No Data