Initial assessment

Hi all

Just a quickie.

My 6 year old has an initial appointment with a pediatrician after being referred re: an ASD, can anyone tell me what to expect??

Thanks

Louise x

Parents
  • Hi there -  I replied to this yesterday but I don't think i clicked on SUBMIT!!!! 

Anyway, I think it depends on where you live in the country and how many assessments your child has already had.  Our initial appointment was about an hour and a half and a lot of questions including running through a computer based questionnaire. 

The doctor may or may not give you an idea of what they are thinking and usually want more assessments carried out by a psycologist and speech and language therapist.  Sometimes they send the child for blood tests (sounds scarey but actaully fine!)

Hope that helps a bit.  You could always phone the doctors secretary and ask for someone to explain to you what will be happening.

All the best

• Hi there -  I replied to this yesterday but I don't think i clicked on SUBMIT!!!! 

Anyway, I think it depends on where you live in the country and how many assessments your child has already had.  Our initial appointment was about an hour and a half and a lot of questions including running through a computer based questionnaire. 

The doctor may or may not give you an idea of what they are thinking and usually want more assessments carried out by a psycologist and speech and language therapist.  Sometimes they send the child for blood tests (sounds scarey but actaully fine!)

Hope that helps a bit.  You could always phone the doctors secretary and ask for someone to explain to you what will be happening.

All the best

Children
No Data