Initial assessment

Hi all

Just a quickie.

My 6 year old has an initial appointment with a pediatrician after being referred re: an ASD, can anyone tell me what to expect??

Thanks

Louise x

• Hi There

Thank you for your reply.

We had jacks appointment today with the pediatritian. She spent a long time with us talking about jack and doing some activities with him. She agreed that he definatly would benefit from a full assessment and has referred him to camhs. I know that this is the first hurdle and it's not nessecarily going to be plain sailing with each professional, but we came away feeling very positive that we had been taken seriously and that she had understood us. 

Thanks again xx

• Hi there -  I replied to this yesterday but I don't think i clicked on SUBMIT!!!! 

Anyway, I think it depends on where you live in the country and how many assessments your child has already had.  Our initial appointment was about an hour and a half and a lot of questions including running through a computer based questionnaire. 

The doctor may or may not give you an idea of what they are thinking and usually want more assessments carried out by a psycologist and speech and language therapist.  Sometimes they send the child for blood tests (sounds scarey but actaully fine!)

Hope that helps a bit.  You could always phone the doctors secretary and ask for someone to explain to you what will be happening.

All the best