What activities make you feel good about yourself

Like many, I often struggle to manage my mental health, self-esteem and negative thoughts towards myself. However, I do have a few activities that I enjoy that just help to reframe things and make me feel positive about myself.

What activities do you enjoy that have a positive effect on your outlook?

I just started exercise again after a 3 month break and it feels wonderful. I also picked up woodworking again after a similar break and have just completed making a new workbench. It’s not brilliant, but it’s mine and I’m proud of it.

Parents
  • The main activity that makes me feel good about myself is my writing. I write mainly sports articles, football and cricket, and a lot of it is historical stuff and ties into my main special interest which is European history and culture, especially Germany and the former GDR. I feel good about myself when I write something and it gets published 

• Getting something published must be very satisfying. I don’t imagine it’s particularly easy to do so though.

Reply Children
  • It can hit very hard. I used to go through phases pre diagnosis and not know what it was. I never had the words to describe to people what I was experiencing, until now anyway. I am very sorry to hear of the impact of it on you- it sounds like a particularly rough bout of it. 

I’m a teacher. I love the lightbulb moments when a pupil of mine makes a connection/ discovers something of interest to them. I also am very grateful for the opportunity to help present things of potential interest to groups of people who may then go on to pursue them like I do my interests. The workload is intense though, as are the amounts of sudden change I have to deal with each day (not a particular skill of mine). I can find communication tricky too, so it can be quite the juggling act at times. It is an instance where my intense practice of masking comes in useful though.

• Thank you, that means a lot. Yes burnout is so tough, this is the first time Ive experinced it for a few years and its hit me hard. I had to give up a job I loved with people I love working with because I had a complete breakdown, I couldnt even get off the floor to go to work in the morning.

What job do you do? Sorry to hear it is so full on, I can really empathise with that 

• I know the difficulties of burnout, so I wish you all the best of luck with your writing. My job is pretty full on and so I’m constantly thinking of things that I could transition into. No luck yet, but I’ll keep thinking. 

I hope you continue to find success in what you do. Seeing your work published must be a great feeling.

• No its tough. I left my job a couple of months ago due to autistic burnout so now I am trying to do this full time. Its not easy but when you get something published and see your work in print its the most amazing feeling in the world 

• I forgot to say, most people I encounter enjoy writing fiction, so it’s nice to see someone referring to non-fiction too.