Moving Out

Hi, I am a 21 year old who is on the autism spectrum. I have recently reserved a flat which i should hopefully be moving into in Early 2023. Is there anyone that is on here that also has moved out that has any tips on how to prepare to live alone. 

I did try searching on the internet but couldn't really find anything related to the subject. 

Parents
  • Hi, are you able to make your question more specific? For example, are you thinking about practical skills such as cooking, cleaning, etc, or are you more concerned with the living alone aspect?

• I'm not worried about the cooking aspect because I do that anyway but it's' more the social aspect of living alone.

• What I found useful was to move out 'in stages' so to speak. I take it you're with your parents at the moment, and could spend some time in your current home if need be. So you could (for example) spend time setting up your new flat in the way you want, but still sleep at your current home. Then progressively spend more time at the new flat until full time. That might help with transitioning location and routine; I'm assuming those things may be important to you.

With plenty of time to go, perhaps you could spend some time researching nearby shops, mentally setting up procedures for yourself. And create an Excel table or equivalent for different types of bills and the payment thereof, to help with budgeting, and also so you don't forget things (if you have any difficult with executive functioning, this helped me no end before direct debits were commonplace).

Regards the social aspect, perhaps consider setting boundaries with people you know? I moved a certain distance away so that people couldn't just turn up when they felt like it; of course, you might either want or not want that.

I hope that is helpful. Good luck with it.

• What I found useful was to move out 'in stages' so to speak. I take it you're with your parents at the moment, and could spend some time in your current home if need be. So you could (for example) spend time setting up your new flat in the way you want, but still sleep at your current home. Then progressively spend more time at the new flat until full time. That might help with transitioning location and routine; I'm assuming those things may be important to you.

With plenty of time to go, perhaps you could spend some time researching nearby shops, mentally setting up procedures for yourself. And create an Excel table or equivalent for different types of bills and the payment thereof, to help with budgeting, and also so you don't forget things (if you have any difficult with executive functioning, this helped me no end before direct debits were commonplace).

Regards the social aspect, perhaps consider setting boundaries with people you know? I moved a certain distance away so that people couldn't just turn up when they felt like it; of course, you might either want or not want that.

I hope that is helpful. Good luck with it.

Children
No Data