Making friends at university

I have started my second year at a small university. I didn't make any friends last year and now I am spending all my time on my own and I am feeling really bad about this. There are no clubs that do anything that I would be interested so I am spending all my time doing things on my own which is making me feel really down.

I have not had any friends in years and I used to feel ok about this but recently this has made me feel really down however I feel really anxious in social situations and I do not know how to start to make friends or even start to chat to people so I feel traped in a cycle.

Parents
  • It is a long time since I was at university, but when I had graduated and was looking for a job, I found that employers like graduates to have done more than just study when they were in full time higher education. 

Being a class representative.  Being a member of clubs (particularly if you can show an achievement, winning a prize, helping people etc), perhaps even running a club (particularly if part of a team), organising an event, looks better on a curriculum vitae than just a degree.  I think most employers want to hire people with good people skills, all the more reason to mix with other students.

I did a further course and I could see that some people tried doing these things to improve their prospects.

• No. 3 is really good. I do that where I live and send them Christmas cards. Now I'm friends with them all.

Reply Children
No Data