SSRIs

Hello,

Has anyone found SSRIs to help with sensitivities? I used to take them for anxiety but the one I took seemed to stop working. Not sure if they actually help with my irritations such as noise and fidgeting people, but I would so love a pill that levelled everything out to be more manageable. 

Parents
  • Hello TJ, when I was in the psychiatric hospital I was taking 20mg of Fluoxetine and 2mg of Diazepam 3 times per day, it had the unexpected affect of dampening down my noise sensitivity, it didn't stop it and I still had to use my earphones/plugs, but it made the difference between a jump out of my chair and run away reaction to slower less sensitive reaction if that makes sense.

However, I wonder if this was more to do with dampening down the anxiety associated with it rather than the sensory experience otherwise I wouldn't need to use any earplugs etc at all. And my anxiety was horrendous at that point, verging on psychosis.

Also, I did read of a parent's experience when their child was given Fluoxetine, the child was able to play outside for an hour but previously would refuse to go out because of their sensory issues.

There were some good points to this medication but after gaining 20lbs in 3 months I decided the side effects outweighed the benefits.

I consider myself a patient expert with these drugs as I've tried several from each class over the years and nothing has worked. The only effects were lessening anxiety and lessening obsessiveness, unfortunately as another poster mentioned this effect is not selective and dampens down your whole system, I couldn't even go for a walk taking the Fluoxetine, I was so tired and lethargic yet I also tried this drug 11 years ago and it was the complete opposite, didn't sleep for 5 days - or that was how it felt - and way more anxious, it was way too stimulating.

Our bodies change over the years, so it's always worth trying the same drug again.

Unfortunately for me, I think I've given up on drugs. Treatment Resistant Depression or Dysthymia are the terms I hear now. Actually, since being diagnosed with ASD, the TRD hasnt been mentioned although the Dysthymia has - a result of living with an ASD apparently.

I was keen to try Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation but after the research I've done it seems that if you do experience benefits treatment would need to be repeated over the long term to maintain this and I don't have the financial means to take that chance.

• Hello TJ, when I was in the psychiatric hospital I was taking 20mg of Fluoxetine and 2mg of Diazepam 3 times per day, it had the unexpected affect of dampening down my noise sensitivity, it didn't stop it and I still had to use my earphones/plugs, but it made the difference between a jump out of my chair and run away reaction to slower less sensitive reaction if that makes sense.

However, I wonder if this was more to do with dampening down the anxiety associated with it rather than the sensory experience otherwise I wouldn't need to use any earplugs etc at all. And my anxiety was horrendous at that point, verging on psychosis.

Also, I did read of a parent's experience when their child was given Fluoxetine, the child was able to play outside for an hour but previously would refuse to go out because of their sensory issues.

There were some good points to this medication but after gaining 20lbs in 3 months I decided the side effects outweighed the benefits.

I consider myself a patient expert with these drugs as I've tried several from each class over the years and nothing has worked. The only effects were lessening anxiety and lessening obsessiveness, unfortunately as another poster mentioned this effect is not selective and dampens down your whole system, I couldn't even go for a walk taking the Fluoxetine, I was so tired and lethargic yet I also tried this drug 11 years ago and it was the complete opposite, didn't sleep for 5 days - or that was how it felt - and way more anxious, it was way too stimulating.

Our bodies change over the years, so it's always worth trying the same drug again.

Unfortunately for me, I think I've given up on drugs. Treatment Resistant Depression or Dysthymia are the terms I hear now. Actually, since being diagnosed with ASD, the TRD hasnt been mentioned although the Dysthymia has - a result of living with an ASD apparently.

I was keen to try Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation but after the research I've done it seems that if you do experience benefits treatment would need to be repeated over the long term to maintain this and I don't have the financial means to take that chance.

Children
No Data