SSRIs

Hello,

Has anyone found SSRIs to help with sensitivities? I used to take them for anxiety but the one I took seemed to stop working. Not sure if they actually help with my irritations such as noise and fidgeting people, but I would so love a pill that levelled everything out to be more manageable. 

• Same for me coming off setraline 

• Interesting to read.  I’m on setraline and concerned at panic returning.  I didn’t realise that I was having a meltdown just before the prescription but it explains it.  How do you avoid triggers if they’re going to be unexpected events with people at work? 

• I've been on fluoxetine for depression for about 8 years. I've tried coming off it 3 times and each time have felt awful. It works for me!

• My son was on and off them. They were hit or miss mostly. We then tried CDB but it lowered his immune system. So, I bought him a Ashwaganda and a mushroom complex, which he started in half-dose. These plus a Multi and a few life-style changes really helped with depression.

As for being hyper-sensitive, I've only found 1: being MORE in tune with senses helps because I can then identify and properly change my surroundings. Natural lighting, 100% natural fibres, natural and scent-free cleaning agents. Etc. CDB can help, but I use it for focus when needed. Attempting to dull what humans naturally use to make calculations in the world around might work for a minute. But I find attempts to suppress a natural working order means being more frustrated, exhausted and also unable to trouble shoot the problem. 

• They helped with low level anxiety (like that morning anxiety feeling) but not the high levels of anxiety symptoms which I struggled to explain. Not sure about sensory.  CBT was more effective overall. 

• Hello TJ, when I was in the psychiatric hospital I was taking 20mg of Fluoxetine and 2mg of Diazepam 3 times per day, it had the unexpected affect of dampening down my noise sensitivity, it didn't stop it and I still had to use my earphones/plugs, but it made the difference between a jump out of my chair and run away reaction to slower less sensitive reaction if that makes sense.

However, I wonder if this was more to do with dampening down the anxiety associated with it rather than the sensory experience otherwise I wouldn't need to use any earplugs etc at all. And my anxiety was horrendous at that point, verging on psychosis.

Also, I did read of a parent's experience when their child was given Fluoxetine, the child was able to play outside for an hour but previously would refuse to go out because of their sensory issues.

There were some good points to this medication but after gaining 20lbs in 3 months I decided the side effects outweighed the benefits.

I consider myself a patient expert with these drugs as I've tried several from each class over the years and nothing has worked. The only effects were lessening anxiety and lessening obsessiveness, unfortunately as another poster mentioned this effect is not selective and dampens down your whole system, I couldn't even go for a walk taking the Fluoxetine, I was so tired and lethargic yet I also tried this drug 11 years ago and it was the complete opposite, didn't sleep for 5 days - or that was how it felt - and way more anxious, it was way too stimulating.

Our bodies change over the years, so it's always worth trying the same drug again.

Unfortunately for me, I think I've given up on drugs. Treatment Resistant Depression or Dysthymia are the terms I hear now. Actually, since being diagnosed with ASD, the TRD hasnt been mentioned although the Dysthymia has - a result of living with an ASD apparently.

I was keen to try Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation but after the research I've done it seems that if you do experience benefits treatment would need to be repeated over the long term to maintain this and I don't have the financial means to take that chance.

• I was given SSRIs for depression and suicidal thoughts, but I do not recommend them. They removed highs and lows and emotions and made me into a robot, and also killed my sex drive and gave me other side effects such as sweating (which exacerbates anxiety).

It wasn't until I was off them for more than a year that my emotions started to return. People in my family said I was a different person when I was on anti-depressants. I noticed the difference after I came off them. It's difficult to notice the absence of something, but when the thing comes back you realise it was gone.

• Before I realised I was autistic I was taking sertraline for anxiety. I don't think it helped with sensory stuff.

The only small benefit was a general numbing, mildly reducing the severity of my anxiety "panic attacks" - in retrospect these were meltdowns, so I ditched the sertraline and now just try to avoid melting down (now I understand what's triggering them).

• No subjectively they are terrible they just numb you to the point you don't know who you are consider reading the book  

A Mind of Your Own: The Truth about Depression and How Women Can Heal Their Bodies to Reclaim Their Lives Hardcover – 15 Mar. 2016

she is amazing it is directed at woman but it applies to men that booked me allot.

• Hi, TJ. No, I haven't found them helpful, and I've tried the whole lot of them over the years. I find earplugs work best for noise reduction. I have an audiology appointment next week to get measured up for some bespoke earplugs.