Communicating everything coming out wrong

Hi, I am in a long term realtionship married for over 10 years. Communication (mine) has always been as issue. I don't communicate much with my wife and have been through different therapies, first for a diagnosis of social anxiety, and a second for strategies in relationship communication. Both of these I felt helped but my wife doesn't think so. 

She believes I have high functioning autism, and we have looked at some online quick assessments which would suggest this too, I am waiting for an assessment referral through my GP. However, things in our relationship have become increasingly strained during Covid, as we dont get time away from each other and so I struggle to find things to talk about.

I have been working on telling her more but often when I say something she feels I am saying something else and I am not explaining things well, Is this something that people with autism can relate to, and be a suggestion that I am on the spectrum. 

I am struggling to find any help and advice, there is a lot for what other people can do to help someone with autism but I am struggling to find what I can do to help myself.

Can anyone relate or give advice?

Parents
  • Hi HappyRambling, I am undiagnosed, but believe that I show strong ASD traits (supported by my AQ test score). Communication issues with my wife and son, and at work, are my main drivers for trying to get a formal diagnosis. My wife is at the end of her tether (again!) and there is real danger that my son will grow up hating me. Whilst I can't offer you any advice, I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone in experiencing these issues. I am hopeful that a formal diagnosis will be the first step in improving these relationships, as we will at least have a reason for my behaviours that we can potentially work on. 

• Hi HappyRambling, I am undiagnosed, but believe that I show strong ASD traits (supported by my AQ test score). Communication issues with my wife and son, and at work, are my main drivers for trying to get a formal diagnosis. My wife is at the end of her tether (again!) and there is real danger that my son will grow up hating me. Whilst I can't offer you any advice, I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone in experiencing these issues. I am hopeful that a formal diagnosis will be the first step in improving these relationships, as we will at least have a reason for my behaviours that we can potentially work on. 

Children
No Data