A National Friendship Database

I just think it would be great to have a national friendship database. Like those dating ones. You could register, put your details in e.g. hobbies, location, characteristics, and be matched up with friends. Everyone I meet online is so lonely. I've been lonely since 2005, living in a new area with no friends. It would be so much easier to have a database to look up friends on...

I tried Bumble BFF but just had a lot of nice conversations, no friends made *shrug*

Parents
  • I've had this desire for decades. The image of it in my head is not conducive with the world we live in. While one would hope the best intention from patrons there are negative percentages to consider. Also level of impunity in disclaiming responsibility for events off site.

The idea is great and I think a lot of people would be up for this. The reality is that it would be tarnished within a week by disrupters, scammers, liars etc.

Most dating sites used to have the option to indicate friendship only and there are a lot of special interest (ahem) sites now pervasive over the internet globally.

I think this is the way to go. This site right here - NAS - where people of a certain distinction can communally express themselves with others of likely a similar mindset. You may be looking for what you already have.

• I think the internet has mainly brought out the bad side of human nature into plain view. Not the NAS site of course (she said quickly)

But what I'd like is a site to meet real people in my neighbourhood that I can actually meet, not just have chats online with. Online friends are no good when you need practical help right now e.g. a bit of shopping when you can't leave the house as you're looking after your sick child; your shower is flooding the bathroom; you just want a cup of tea and a cake with someone; you want to go out in the sunshine for a walk and a chat; your motorbike gets stuck in the mud and you can't move it alone.

However I'm learning that online is generally a fake place, the only way to meet my neighbours is in real life. e.g. I now send Christmas and Easter cards to my closest neighbours and now I know 7/9 of them.

btw when the above situations happened to me, I had to hang out the window to ask passers by to help me with shopping when I couldn't leave the house due to a very sick child; with the motorbike, we had to phone relatives from a long way away to drive over here to help. We had no local friends so were isolated. We all need local friends round the corner.

Reply Children