Intolerance of Uncertainty and Managing Emotions

HI all,

I've come across the concept of Intolerance of Uncertainty - something my psychologist mentioned and after a recent blip I've started investigating it. Most of the material I've come across is academic papers (taking a wee bit of time to absorb) but I was wondering if anyone else had come across the idea and what they made of it?

On a semi-related topic the Coursera platform is running a course by the Yale Centre of Emotional Intelligence: Managing Emotions in Times of Uncertainty and Stress. It's free (although you can pay £36 for a certificate if you want one). Link > https://www.coursera.org/learn/managing-emotions-uncertainty-stress

It's intended for school staff (and neurotypicals) but looking at the syllabus I'm fairly sure there's ideas that might give me another perspective and increase emotional awareness. I'm going to explore it - but I thought I'd share in case anyone else is interested. 

The course leader Marc Brackett has a website @ https://www.marcbrackett.com/ (apologies for the big book ad slap bang in the middle of the homepage Rolling eyes- I'm not on commission, It's the video I'm pointing to)

Parents
  • I have some intolerance of uncertainty when I go out because I'm not very independent - I need to know that I won't become stranded - I wouldn't go abroad for example unless I was with a group of people - most of whom were aware of my problems - if I went with just one person and they broke their leg or something and I had to find my way home in my own, I would be so scared.  I think my fears are realistic because I lack certain skills and I'm not sure that other countries would hold my hand as much as this one - some might though.

• I have some intolerance of uncertainty when I go out because I'm not very independent - I need to know that I won't become stranded - I wouldn't go abroad for example unless I was with a group of people - most of whom were aware of my problems - if I went with just one person and they broke their leg or something and I had to find my way home in my own, I would be so scared.  I think my fears are realistic because I lack certain skills and I'm not sure that other countries would hold my hand as much as this one - some might though.

Children
No Data