Intolerance of Uncertainty and Managing Emotions

HI all,

I've come across the concept of Intolerance of Uncertainty - something my psychologist mentioned and after a recent blip I've started investigating it. Most of the material I've come across is academic papers (taking a wee bit of time to absorb) but I was wondering if anyone else had come across the idea and what they made of it?

On a semi-related topic the Coursera platform is running a course by the Yale Centre of Emotional Intelligence: Managing Emotions in Times of Uncertainty and Stress. It's free (although you can pay £36 for a certificate if you want one). Link > https://www.coursera.org/learn/managing-emotions-uncertainty-stress

It's intended for school staff (and neurotypicals) but looking at the syllabus I'm fairly sure there's ideas that might give me another perspective and increase emotional awareness. I'm going to explore it - but I thought I'd share in case anyone else is interested. 

The course leader Marc Brackett has a website @ https://www.marcbrackett.com/ (apologies for the big book ad slap bang in the middle of the homepage Rolling eyes- I'm not on commission, It's the video I'm pointing to)

Parents
  • I’ve been thinking about it some time ago when I realised that a lot of my problems stem from intolerance of uncertainty. I worry a lot about what’s going to happen and what should I do, how and when. As soon as I’ve got detailed step by step plan I’m fine.

Actually no, I’m not. I keep worrying that something might change along the way and that’s why I need plan B and C as well. 

But then I’ve got problems with coming up with all those plans and possible solutions and ways things might go wrong. 

So I’ve developed severe anxiety that something unplanned is going to happen and I won’t be prepared for that, because I’m unable to predict every possible way the situation might develop. Too many variables. 

I’ve tried to accept uncertainty but all I’ve managed was to make myself withdrawn and numb. I’ve distanced myself but it felt wrong because I started to care less, talk less, move less and more slowly and engage less in life. Because what’s the point if I don’t know what’s going to happen? Why invest myself in something that might not be here tomorrow?

As soon as I try to get out of this torpor my anxiety is back.

I know I need to find some balance, some middle ground but haven’t found it yet. But then I doubt some course can teach me that. But then maybe it’s worth trying, no harm in trying.

• Hi Ladybird! I totally get where you’re coming from. I need my ultimate plan and then as you say plans B and C. I’ve not found a solution to this as yet (in 44 years!) if I do have a lightbulb moment then I’ll share. 

Reply Children
No Data