Intolerance of Uncertainty and Managing Emotions

HI all,

I've come across the concept of Intolerance of Uncertainty - something my psychologist mentioned and after a recent blip I've started investigating it. Most of the material I've come across is academic papers (taking a wee bit of time to absorb) but I was wondering if anyone else had come across the idea and what they made of it?

On a semi-related topic the Coursera platform is running a course by the Yale Centre of Emotional Intelligence: Managing Emotions in Times of Uncertainty and Stress. It's free (although you can pay £36 for a certificate if you want one). Link > https://www.coursera.org/learn/managing-emotions-uncertainty-stress

It's intended for school staff (and neurotypicals) but looking at the syllabus I'm fairly sure there's ideas that might give me another perspective and increase emotional awareness. I'm going to explore it - but I thought I'd share in case anyone else is interested. 

The course leader Marc Brackett has a website @ https://www.marcbrackett.com/ (apologies for the big book ad slap bang in the middle of the homepage Rolling eyes- I'm not on commission, It's the video I'm pointing to)

Parents
  • So I've decided to keep a diary (of sorts) of my experience with the Yale Course @  https://www.coursera.org/learn/managing-emotions-uncertainty-stress , just to see how I get on with it.

Week 1: So weeks aren't "weeks", they're just sections. I like the format. The video's are short. There's a transcript of each video so I can skim read and skip ahead if I want to. I'm not bombarded with additional reading which is at a different level. Some of the content feels a bit "common sense" obvious and I'm thankful that I've attended enough work-based courses to learn to extract what I need from them and ignore the stuff that I already know or doesn't matter. There's a concept of "leveraging emotion" which I like. Also how emotions can steer decision-making and that being aware of them can help in the choices we make (suddenly my mood chart takes on a whole new purpose). There's a lot of self-reflection this week (not discussion with other learners) and I wonder if the whole course is like that. There's 100% mark given just for completing some of the questions.

It feels a bit odd with it focused for educators in the US school system. But the first half is about self-awareness and management and I figure at least that much is worth a look. The second part which focuses on students I might step back from. 

What did surprise me was writing about my emotions over the last year - usually I think I've had a "bad year" or "good year" directly connected to my work. Stuff outside of work I never really thought about . As I was signed off, diagnosed and returned to work and then figuring out the impact of my diagnosis my emotions ranged from the really unpleasant (when I was signed off) to everything associated with optimism (when I was diagnosed) and that sense of relief which comes when a puzzle has been solved (when I really started to understand how it impacted me - although there was some anger and disappointment mixed in there too). 

Just been asked how I felt about "X" has helped me capture the need for awareness of how I was feeling (something I picked up from my therapist reasonably quickly and then forget to apply too often, possibly because I like the distraction of "busyness"). 

How useful will it be? I'm not sure. ACT is my thing at the moment and I'm wondering if I'm building in another idea/set of techniques which seems good but I'll just forget about. I do set high expectations on what I expect things to do and then get disillusioned when it feels they're not having the impact I expected. 

I've looked at the PDF file for self-reflection and I'm really tempted to skip it - but then I realise I'd already be hindering myself in what I get out of the course. Decide to put it aside and look at it later, or maybe tomorrow.

• So I've decided to keep a diary (of sorts) of my experience with the Yale Course @  https://www.coursera.org/learn/managing-emotions-uncertainty-stress , just to see how I get on with it.

Week 1: So weeks aren't "weeks", they're just sections. I like the format. The video's are short. There's a transcript of each video so I can skim read and skip ahead if I want to. I'm not bombarded with additional reading which is at a different level. Some of the content feels a bit "common sense" obvious and I'm thankful that I've attended enough work-based courses to learn to extract what I need from them and ignore the stuff that I already know or doesn't matter. There's a concept of "leveraging emotion" which I like. Also how emotions can steer decision-making and that being aware of them can help in the choices we make (suddenly my mood chart takes on a whole new purpose). There's a lot of self-reflection this week (not discussion with other learners) and I wonder if the whole course is like that. There's 100% mark given just for completing some of the questions.

It feels a bit odd with it focused for educators in the US school system. But the first half is about self-awareness and management and I figure at least that much is worth a look. The second part which focuses on students I might step back from. 

What did surprise me was writing about my emotions over the last year - usually I think I've had a "bad year" or "good year" directly connected to my work. Stuff outside of work I never really thought about . As I was signed off, diagnosed and returned to work and then figuring out the impact of my diagnosis my emotions ranged from the really unpleasant (when I was signed off) to everything associated with optimism (when I was diagnosed) and that sense of relief which comes when a puzzle has been solved (when I really started to understand how it impacted me - although there was some anger and disappointment mixed in there too). 

Just been asked how I felt about "X" has helped me capture the need for awareness of how I was feeling (something I picked up from my therapist reasonably quickly and then forget to apply too often, possibly because I like the distraction of "busyness"). 

How useful will it be? I'm not sure. ACT is my thing at the moment and I'm wondering if I'm building in another idea/set of techniques which seems good but I'll just forget about. I do set high expectations on what I expect things to do and then get disillusioned when it feels they're not having the impact I expected. 

I've looked at the PDF file for self-reflection and I'm really tempted to skip it - but then I realise I'd already be hindering myself in what I get out of the course. Decide to put it aside and look at it later, or maybe tomorrow.

Children
  • Still on week 1. I haven't got to the pdf file yet and I get the feeling this may have to be a weekend thing. The adjustment to the new role at work is pretty exhausting so I sleep most of the evening, then eat late (crashed at 7pm tonight, woke at 11:30 and scoffed a meal at midnight). Need to check into here to keep my sanity so I'm thinking about how to manage this. Realise I've worked a little longer than I need to (the mission creep that comes from working at home) and decide I need to make more effort to "park" things and pick them up the following day. This may not be the quick burn I hoped for.