generally struggling

Hi, my name is Beth and I have a teenage son with ASD, we have so many issues arising at the moment and I am struggling so much that my mental health is suffering, my son has so many issues include impacted bowel, behaviour and educational issues and because of covid there doesn't seem to be any support. Although he has always had asd our diagnosis only came recently and I am desperately in need of guidance and reassurance that I am doing right by him.

Apologies for the big whine but I don't really know what I'm doing any help and advice would be appreciated.

Parents
  • Hi Beth, is there any area in particular that's been a struggle? My daughter and I are AS and the biggest struggle for us, especially with lockdown, is having mental and physical breaks from each other and whatever the situation is that could trigger a meltdown on either side. You mentioned you feel your mental health is suffering, what helps me is taking a "brain break" for her or myself, where I'll send her into another room and she'll run on the spot for 30 seconds or do a few burpies (she's 7 so is probably more likely to engage with this than a teenager! But I wonder if there's an equivalent you could try?). What I find is that it refocuses the energy and gives us a second wind to complete whatever task- school work, chore etc- that needs to be done. Works 55% of the time.

• Hi Beth, is there any area in particular that's been a struggle? My daughter and I are AS and the biggest struggle for us, especially with lockdown, is having mental and physical breaks from each other and whatever the situation is that could trigger a meltdown on either side. You mentioned you feel your mental health is suffering, what helps me is taking a "brain break" for her or myself, where I'll send her into another room and she'll run on the spot for 30 seconds or do a few burpies (she's 7 so is probably more likely to engage with this than a teenager! But I wonder if there's an equivalent you could try?). What I find is that it refocuses the energy and gives us a second wind to complete whatever task- school work, chore etc- that needs to be done. Works 55% of the time.

Children
No Data