Finding it hard to get any info specifically to people with autism on antidepressant meds.

Hello everybody :) 

I have been taking sertraline 50mg for the past 38 days, initially I felt awful and it has taken a little time to feel improvement but I can safely say I am starting to feel much more like me again as time goes by, the only issue is.. the dose as I have read up online that people with autism, metabolise medications differently and typically require lower doses.

Has anybody here had a good experience and have you found that lower doses have suited you okay? :) 

I have read a few of temple grandin's book's and she seems to think the same thing too about doses.

I have had to reach out here, as my DR seems to plead ignorant unfortunately :( every time that I suggest my diagnosis and just treats me as the next person.

Parents
  • As a doctor with autism and depression I has researched this extensively and found we rarely get the benefits from medication, so count yourself lucky. Somewhere in the past posts there is lots about this. If overall you are improving on 50mg sertraline that sounds excellent, but make sure you continue it for 3 months minimum. We are all individuals and you are on the lowest maintenance dose ( some use 200mg daily). I'm envious you have done so well on such a small dose. Rejoice! 

• As a doctor with autism and depression I has researched this extensively and found we rarely get the benefits from medication, so count yourself lucky. Somewhere in the past posts there is lots about this. If overall you are improving on 50mg sertraline that sounds excellent, but make sure you continue it for 3 months minimum. We are all individuals and you are on the lowest maintenance dose ( some use 200mg daily). I'm envious you have done so well on such a small dose. Rejoice! 

Children
No Data