Finding it hard to get any info specifically to people with autism on antidepressant meds.

Hello everybody :) 

I have been taking sertraline 50mg for the past 38 days, initially I felt awful and it has taken a little time to feel improvement but I can safely say I am starting to feel much more like me again as time goes by, the only issue is.. the dose as I have read up online that people with autism, metabolise medications differently and typically require lower doses.

Has anybody here had a good experience and have you found that lower doses have suited you okay? :) 

I have read a few of temple grandin's book's and she seems to think the same thing too about doses.

I have had to reach out here, as my DR seems to plead ignorant unfortunately :( every time that I suggest my diagnosis and just treats me as the next person.

• I was afraid it might be like that, I barely feel any effect from painkilers too.

I intended to take it for a while only anyway.

Like in your case, anxiety dissapeared during first week.

• As a doctor with autism and depression I has researched this extensively and found we rarely get the benefits from medication, so count yourself lucky. Somewhere in the past posts there is lots about this. If overall you are improving on 50mg sertraline that sounds excellent, but make sure you continue it for 3 months minimum. We are all individuals and you are on the lowest maintenance dose ( some use 200mg daily). I'm envious you have done so well on such a small dose. Rejoice! 

• I was  prescribed citalopram in 2016 and was taking it for 6 months , First week was so calming ,like nothing i have ever experienced in living memory  , But the doses were getting more and more just to remain in this dreamlike world i was in .

Then a few months before my diagnosis my gp wanted to take me off them .It took about 3 months to stop taking them by reducing the dose , After my assessments & diagnosis i was offered cbt to help manage anxiety .

If i need to i can just have the odd tablet to help but no more than one a week , This was suggested to me by someone on this forum,

• Having both Autism and ADHD I have experienced nothing positive taking antidepressants. I can list multiple names of medications I have taken including sertraline, citalopram and among many others. 

main issues with these medications is that they are not designed for long term use. I personally seem to become tolerant to them way too quickly and after a four months they make the depression & anxiety crippling.

Initially I thought the antidepressant where making me better because anxiety was initially reduced after the first month but after a few months after that they where inhibiting my ability to do everyday tasks.

I can’t spell the last antidepressant I was on but when it made my sensory issues 100% worse, that was it I wasn’t going to take another poorly prescribed medication. 

It’s hard for me to explain but antidepressants seem to excavate the negative behaviour associated my with autism and ADHD. 

I honestly you need question your doctors knowledge of autism before they decide to prescribe medication to you. I am not the only person in this forum who has had similar experiences of being prescribed antidepressants like they are skittles because a doctor doesn’t understand the risks and complexity of someone who is neurological diverse. 

• I started taking 20g citalopram 2 weeks ago, this is a new thing for me, I mean taking antidepresants, so if anybody had unpleasant moments on it please let know