Finding it hard to get any info specifically to people with autism on antidepressant meds.

Hello everybody :) 

I have been taking sertraline 50mg for the past 38 days, initially I felt awful and it has taken a little time to feel improvement but I can safely say I am starting to feel much more like me again as time goes by, the only issue is.. the dose as I have read up online that people with autism, metabolise medications differently and typically require lower doses.

Has anybody here had a good experience and have you found that lower doses have suited you okay? :) 

I have read a few of temple grandin's book's and she seems to think the same thing too about doses.

I have had to reach out here, as my DR seems to plead ignorant unfortunately :( every time that I suggest my diagnosis and just treats me as the next person.

Parents
  • Having both Autism and ADHD I have experienced nothing positive taking antidepressants. I can list multiple names of medications I have taken including sertraline, citalopram and among many others. 

main issues with these medications is that they are not designed for long term use. I personally seem to become tolerant to them way too quickly and after a four months they make the depression & anxiety crippling.

Initially I thought the antidepressant where making me better because anxiety was initially reduced after the first month but after a few months after that they where inhibiting my ability to do everyday tasks.

I can’t spell the last antidepressant I was on but when it made my sensory issues 100% worse, that was it I wasn’t going to take another poorly prescribed medication. 

It’s hard for me to explain but antidepressants seem to excavate the negative behaviour associated my with autism and ADHD. 

I honestly you need question your doctors knowledge of autism before they decide to prescribe medication to you. I am not the only person in this forum who has had similar experiences of being prescribed antidepressants like they are skittles because a doctor doesn’t understand the risks and complexity of someone who is neurological diverse. 

• Having both Autism and ADHD I have experienced nothing positive taking antidepressants. I can list multiple names of medications I have taken including sertraline, citalopram and among many others. 

main issues with these medications is that they are not designed for long term use. I personally seem to become tolerant to them way too quickly and after a four months they make the depression & anxiety crippling.

Initially I thought the antidepressant where making me better because anxiety was initially reduced after the first month but after a few months after that they where inhibiting my ability to do everyday tasks.

I can’t spell the last antidepressant I was on but when it made my sensory issues 100% worse, that was it I wasn’t going to take another poorly prescribed medication. 

It’s hard for me to explain but antidepressants seem to excavate the negative behaviour associated my with autism and ADHD. 

I honestly you need question your doctors knowledge of autism before they decide to prescribe medication to you. I am not the only person in this forum who has had similar experiences of being prescribed antidepressants like they are skittles because a doctor doesn’t understand the risks and complexity of someone who is neurological diverse. 

Children
No Data