Finding meaning in life

How do you all make your life feel meaningful? I am 42 single living with parents. No children no great achievements. I wanted to do more but feel life life never got started because mental illness got in the way. I cant save money because I spend when I feel bad which is often. I'm tired of feeling like lofe is going nowhere. 

Parents
  • I seem tied to my routines but in a way, it has made me care for my mom who has dementia and needs daily care. If I had been different I would have probably left home by now and she would have been placed in a home since there is no way she could be left by herself for too long as it would be dangerous. If I was the kind of guy who had friends and went out more it would leave her a bit vulnerable, for example, she has had a few falls in the past and had I not been there she would have had trouble getting up, if at all. So, funnily enough, me being the as I am has benefited her in terms of not having to sell her house to fund her care in a home and indeed not have to put up with possible abuse that you sometimes read about in care homes. So, in one sense it's been positive in terms of feeling I'm doing something useful in life but the downside, of course, is that I'm still basically a very lonely and isolated person which no doubt many people would say was my own fault as it's up to me to change that. Hmmm..,.  

Reply Children