Poor sleep

Hello everyone,

I had been suffering from poor sleep for a while, but recently made some changes which started to improve it (eg not having caffeine after 12 p.m and using a weighted blanket). However, the massive change to my routine, brought about by the lockdown, seems to have really damaged my sleep quality. I can fall asleep ok, but I keep waking up too early, with my mind buzzing so much that I am unable to go back to sleep.

If anyone has any recommendations of methods they've used that have improved their sleep, I'd be grateful if you could share them. 

• Great idea cutting out the caffeine. I used to drink way too much of it and that impacted my sleeping pattern very badly. I drink a lot more tea now and my sleep is better for it. I've got blackout blinds too and this has also helped me with my sleep.

• I have stoppped using caffeine after my 1st coffee in the morning and then go decaf the rest of the day and try and limit that not after 12pm. Also, i cut down sweeetners Splenda which i read wasn't good for autism. Also, i use Lavender at night to try and sleep and also Sleep  Better mist spray on my pillow which seems helpful. I have also sometimes use Bliss Lights Blue stars on my ceiling to try and help me, but I don't use that every night.

• I too have poor sleep and I have done all the usual thins – no caffeine after noon,  no screens after 7 pm etc., to no effect.  The only thing that has helped at all is total blackout stops me waking up so early, but it doesn’t help getting to sleep.  I lie for hours in total darkness.  If I read then that is going round and round in my brain after I have put it down, if not that then something else.

• Setting fire to vast quantities of a certain kind of weed and breathing in the fumes, is totally reliable for me!

• Hi, good idea on cutting out caffeine a couple of hours before bed! Caffeine is not a good idea at night. It's one of my biggest problems when it comes to sleeping... I drink too much coca cola during the daytime. I suffer from extreme anxiety as well and this keeps me awake. One thing I've found also helps is blackout curtains, so no light can get in and potentially disturb sleeping. Another thing you or anyone else who suffers in this way could try is meditation, I've been using meditation for about three months and it's helped me with my sleeping problems.

• Hi, Ursula. I've been struggling with my sleep too. I did try going for a (socially distanced) walk a few days ago, then had a warm bath as soon as I got home. That helped me relax and I slept much better that night. I keep falling into the trap of sleeping really badly, taking an evening nap, and then finding myself wide awake at night again!

Hope you get some good tips Slight smile

• Hey there!  I'd really recommend meditation before you sleep - it will defo help with racing thoughts, and helps to get a good night sleep!x

• Hello. How are you getting on now? I too have sleep problems. I like to use different you tube videos that have sleep music to rain sounds or science podcasts, I use a cushion to mask the light from the phone or laptop. An hour before I take my night time antidepressants I put my aromatherapy infuser on. Also no caffine after 1pm and last bit of food before 7pm. 

If all of that fails I have a strong antihistamine my doctor gave me that helps. 

• Thank you, I hadn't even considered that as a strategy! 

• Hi Ursula

I have 3 different sleeping places - bed, spare bed, sofa etc. - I find that when I wake up, my brain kicks off doing unnecessary maths calculations or just worrying about stuff so I just move to another bed, maybe switch the tv on something boring, on ultra quiet so I can't really understand any words and turn the brightness right down - and I tend to fade out quite quickly.