Poor sleep

Hello everyone,

I had been suffering from poor sleep for a while, but recently made some changes which started to improve it (eg not having caffeine after 12 p.m and using a weighted blanket). However, the massive change to my routine, brought about by the lockdown, seems to have really damaged my sleep quality. I can fall asleep ok, but I keep waking up too early, with my mind buzzing so much that I am unable to go back to sleep.

If anyone has any recommendations of methods they've used that have improved their sleep, I'd be grateful if you could share them. 

Parents
  • Hi Ursula

I have 3 different sleeping places - bed, spare bed, sofa etc. - I find that when I wake up, my brain kicks off doing unnecessary maths calculations or just worrying about stuff so I just move to another bed, maybe switch the tv on something boring, on ultra quiet so I can't really understand any words and turn the brightness right down - and I tend to fade out quite quickly.

• Thank you, I hadn't even considered that as a strategy! 

Reply Children
  • Hello. How are you getting on now? I too have sleep problems. I like to use different you tube videos that have sleep music to rain sounds or science podcasts, I use a cushion to mask the light from the phone or laptop. An hour before I take my night time antidepressants I put my aromatherapy infuser on. Also no caffine after 1pm and last bit of food before 7pm. 

If all of that fails I have a strong antihistamine my doctor gave me that helps.