We got the diagnosis!

Ds had his final assessment today - has now officially been diagnosed with Aspergers syndrome with aspects of ADHD (anxiety related) - they want to put him on flouoxetine (Prozac!) (anyone tried this? Results?) Sorry it's a bit blunt my brain is absolute mush - ex DH attended and wasn't particually supportive (was the 3di test) but couldn't actually argue with the results when he input the answers like I did! So that's it? 2 years of fighting tooth and nail, OT assessments, SALT assessments, meeting after meeting at school... Is it wrong to actually feel nothing? I'm numb - on one hand I'm massively relieved on the other hand I'm gutted! What a strange day.
Parents
  • hi MrsP - I don't think it's wrong to feel nothing.  Sometimes when we have to fight + struggle on it's a sort of anti-climax when we finally get what we want.  As you say, you're massively relieved because you've finally got the diagnosis, but at the same time you feel gutted.  There a a number of posts on here where parents say it takes time to adjust to the diagnosis, even tho they were expecting it.  So, yes, a strange day + also a very important day.  The diagnosis, as you know, should help your son to get whatever provision he needs.  Perhaps you should do a bit of research on prozac.  Maybe there'll be something on the nas site or just google it, before deciding what to do.  bw

• hi MrsP - I don't think it's wrong to feel nothing.  Sometimes when we have to fight + struggle on it's a sort of anti-climax when we finally get what we want.  As you say, you're massively relieved because you've finally got the diagnosis, but at the same time you feel gutted.  There a a number of posts on here where parents say it takes time to adjust to the diagnosis, even tho they were expecting it.  So, yes, a strange day + also a very important day.  The diagnosis, as you know, should help your son to get whatever provision he needs.  Perhaps you should do a bit of research on prozac.  Maybe there'll be something on the nas site or just google it, before deciding what to do.  bw

Children
No Data