We got the diagnosis!

Ds had his final assessment today - has now officially been diagnosed with Aspergers syndrome with aspects of ADHD (anxiety related) - they want to put him on flouoxetine (Prozac!) (anyone tried this? Results?) Sorry it's a bit blunt my brain is absolute mush - ex DH attended and wasn't particually supportive (was the 3di test) but couldn't actually argue with the results when he input the answers like I did! So that's it? 2 years of fighting tooth and nail, OT assessments, SALT assessments, meeting after meeting at school... Is it wrong to actually feel nothing? I'm numb - on one hand I'm massively relieved on the other hand I'm gutted! What a strange day.
  • Really pleased you got the diagnosis you need. I've only just been diagnosed, but I've had to wait until aged 44 with a mental breakdown behind me. I was on fluoxetine for quite a while with no ill effects (although I was subsequently on mirtazapine and I'm now on venlafaxine and quetiapine as being the most effective meds for me at the moment). Take it day by day, use the support networks out there, and be totally honest with the doctor about the way the meds are working for him as everyone's chemistry is slightly different.

• My son started on fluoetine last February - he was 18 then. It has done him so much good and really helped his depression and general anxiety levels. It helped him break a pattern. He is so cheerful now, the GP is considereing weaning him off next febraury after his exams.

I agree with what others said about the later teenage years being very tough. My son wasn't diagnosed with aspergers until he was 17 and had sunk into depression which raised our concerns yet again.

• Hi MrsP,

I was on Fluoxetine quite a while ago for depression. It didn't work, it just made me very tired and gave me nightmares every night.

• I am sure that you are going to do this but it is important that you study very carefully the potential developmental effects of fluoxetine on children (especially boys).

Also, you don't mention what level your son is (ie does he have learning diablility as well), but I remember from another post that he is very young. With Aspergers the worst of the effects will be apparent as he ages and the rest of his peer group grow away from him. Also, and this is directed at all NT parents of ASD children, not specifically towards you, as an ASD is lifelong and neurological/genentic not psychological it is not possible to use therapies to get rid of it. The child or adult with ASD has to have a secure and calming environment appropriate to them as individuals, which will involve periods of solitude. Then they can devise strategies to help control anxieties etc., but these will be conscious, and they are tiring.

• Oh I will be doing lots of research lol plus we have an appointment to talk with the psychiatrist about doses, side effects etEliot won't be a decision I make lightly :)

also gonna speak to his OT and his teacher etc to find out their thoughts... Plus it helps that I work in mental health so will be having a chat with the psychiatrist on my team :)

• hi MrsP - I don't think it's wrong to feel nothing.  Sometimes when we have to fight + struggle on it's a sort of anti-climax when we finally get what we want.  As you say, you're massively relieved because you've finally got the diagnosis, but at the same time you feel gutted.  There a a number of posts on here where parents say it takes time to adjust to the diagnosis, even tho they were expecting it.  So, yes, a strange day + also a very important day.  The diagnosis, as you know, should help your son to get whatever provision he needs.  Perhaps you should do a bit of research on prozac.  Maybe there'll be something on the nas site or just google it, before deciding what to do.  bw