noisy babies/toddlers in public

I have often had to make the sacrifice to leave a public place early (e.g., a cafe or grocery store) because parents bring their babies, or sometimes young children, and they start screaming. And sometimes it can last for a while. And many people seem to think it's okay, since they are babies, and babies cry. But on the other hand, the parents can be more responsible and leave the public place. Some parents are more considerate and try to not stay in the same place forever when they have a screaming baby. While others seem perfectly fine to continue having their tea in the cafe or spend their time shopping while their children are being noisy. I find the screaming really hard to bear, and it's even physically painful sometimes and that I want to cry. I often leave if it continues for too long. But it seems unfair that it's me leaving instead of the baby making the noise in the middle of 20-30 people leaving. Any ideas on how to cope when a people bring noisy babies/toddlers? Or anyone else feel that it is unfair?

Parents
  • I think it is very dependent on the situation. For example if you are in the cinema then yes absolutely the parent should take the screaming baby out as it is unfair on those watching the film.

If the baby is hungry or need a changing then that should be dealt with.

However babies cry a lot. Some babies can be particularly difficult to settle. I think it is unreasonable to think that a parent is going to leave a shop every time their baby cries. They may have a short time in which to do their shopping before having to be somewhere else like pick up children from school. 

I often where my headphones and listen to music when I'm out and about. This helps to take the edge of sounds that I find difficult.

I think people do need to be understanding that their children's noises can bother others but at the end of the day children are children and they make noise. People's lives can't come to a stop because of it. There has to be some give and take.

• I think it is very dependent on the situation. For example if you are in the cinema then yes absolutely the parent should take the screaming baby out as it is unfair on those watching the film.

If the baby is hungry or need a changing then that should be dealt with.

However babies cry a lot. Some babies can be particularly difficult to settle. I think it is unreasonable to think that a parent is going to leave a shop every time their baby cries. They may have a short time in which to do their shopping before having to be somewhere else like pick up children from school. 

I often where my headphones and listen to music when I'm out and about. This helps to take the edge of sounds that I find difficult.

I think people do need to be understanding that their children's noises can bother others but at the end of the day children are children and they make noise. People's lives can't come to a stop because of it. There has to be some give and take.

Children
No Data