Anti-anxiety meds

Hi

So I have always suffered with anxiety and low mood. This year I found out I am an Aspie.  Not just a little bit but a lot. 

Sometimes anxiety or sensory or both cause me to shake.  At night, like last night I wake up and I am in the foetal position rocking with anxiety.

So I am considering anti-anxiety meds. But...

1) I am worried they will change my personality for the worse and

2) as a side effect suicide is possible.

Has anyone been on these and what effects have they had. 

Parents
  • I was prescribed Promethazine when I was hospitalised. It's not addictive like some medication. It was originally created as an antihistamine but it's affective for treating insomnia, travel sickness and is a mild antipsychotic as well as hay fever! I personally have found that it really helps me with the overanalyzing day to day and keeps my mind less noisy. Together with Pregabalin and Fluoxitine I'm able to live a reasonably normal live day to day, keep a job, run a household and look after a zoo of pets. 

Another thing that has always stuck in my mind was what a GP told me once. It's better to accept that I'll have to take medication everyday for the rest of my life and actually live rather than be uncontrollably up and down, having to take meds, come off them, relapse etc

• I was prescribed Promethazine when I was hospitalised. It's not addictive like some medication. It was originally created as an antihistamine but it's affective for treating insomnia, travel sickness and is a mild antipsychotic as well as hay fever! I personally have found that it really helps me with the overanalyzing day to day and keeps my mind less noisy. Together with Pregabalin and Fluoxitine I'm able to live a reasonably normal live day to day, keep a job, run a household and look after a zoo of pets. 

Another thing that has always stuck in my mind was what a GP told me once. It's better to accept that I'll have to take medication everyday for the rest of my life and actually live rather than be uncontrollably up and down, having to take meds, come off them, relapse etc

Children
No Data