Anti-anxiety meds

Hi

So I have always suffered with anxiety and low mood. This year I found out I am an Aspie.  Not just a little bit but a lot. 

Sometimes anxiety or sensory or both cause me to shake.  At night, like last night I wake up and I am in the foetal position rocking with anxiety.

So I am considering anti-anxiety meds. But...

1) I am worried they will change my personality for the worse and

2) as a side effect suicide is possible.

Has anyone been on these and what effects have they had. 

Parents
  • I take propranolol if I feel I really need it. It does take the edge off when I am very anxious. It seems to calm the physical sensations of anxiety and makes it easier to deal with what's going on in your head. It doesn't seem to change your personality and I like it because I can just take it when I need to, I'm not on it all the time.

• That's really helpful to know - I read that you have to gradually decrease the dose when you want to stop taking it (I'm taking 3 x 40mg per day currently) is that your experience or do you just stop?

Reply Children
  • In the booklet of the ones I have it mentions taking one before an 'anxious situation'. Maybe you should discuss it with your GP once you are feeling more settled. 

• I have taken several meds that you are supposed to gradually build down before stopping, and have never had to do that. I just stopped. Although that is not recommendable. But I am not addiction-prone.

But propanolol I have never had to take. I'd always go by what is said by the GP or on the box.

• That's great thanks! I was thinking of reducing the dose once things are more settled then just using the tablets if I feel I need to, especially for high stress events like job interviews. 

• Yes you do have to decrease them gradually if you take them regularly. I used to take 2 × 40mg a day for a few months and I weaned myself off them over a few weeks. I now just take one or half of one if I feel I need it, on the advice of my GP. It just takes the edge off. I am reluctant to try any other medication but these seem to work ok for me anyway.