Anti-anxiety meds

Hi

So I have always suffered with anxiety and low mood. This year I found out I am an Aspie.  Not just a little bit but a lot. 

Sometimes anxiety or sensory or both cause me to shake.  At night, like last night I wake up and I am in the foetal position rocking with anxiety.

So I am considering anti-anxiety meds. But...

1) I am worried they will change my personality for the worse and

2) as a side effect suicide is possible.

Has anyone been on these and what effects have they had. 

Parents
  • I’m on meds for both mood and anxiety and was the best decision I made. They haven’t changed my personality at all. If anything it’s help me see myself again as I’m not 100% anxious. Not saying I’m not anxious at times but not as much as I used to be. Don’t know if this helps or not 

• I’m on meds for both mood and anxiety and was the best decision I made. They haven’t changed my personality at all. If anything it’s help me see myself again as I’m not 100% anxious. Not saying I’m not anxious at times but not as much as I used to be. Don’t know if this helps or not 

Children
  • My second day of taking Propanalol for anxiety and I feel so much calmer and happier. Like Nicola I still feel like me, but I'm no longer twisted up inside with worry. 

GPs can talk through the most suitable medication for you taking into account side effects and risk factors. I was reluctant to try medication at first - I've always preferred talking therapies. However I am now starting to see the benefits of a pharmaceutical approach in relation to anxiety.