Hospital Appointments

How do people deal with hospital appointments? I don't have much experience with them but they make me really anxious. I've been referred for a few since a doctor's appointment on Friday. I'm really worried because I don't know exactly what will happen or where to go etc. I'm also worried they are going to find something wrong so anxiety is through the roof at the moment. I also hate being touched so this isn't helping as I know they will have to touch me in order for the appointments to go ahead. I've got the dates for 2 of the appointments but there is also a 3rd. It should come through on a letter but I get worried that it won't come and I'll miss it but I feel silly ringing up to ask. It hasn't been very long I realise but the doctor did say the appointment should happen within 3 weeks. I also will have to ask for time off work which I hate. The whole thing just makes me feel physically sick. Does anyone have any good strategies for dealing with this stuff?

Parents
  • I spend a lot of time in hospitals - I tell the people booking the appointments of my problems and they try to get me the first appointment of the day - this minimises the time I have to spend in the environment.

It also depends on the type of appointment - whether it's a 'talking' one or a 'doing' one. I find the talking ones difficult because I overload quickly so if it is going to be important decisions being made, I take someone with me to be my memory and advocate.

If it's just an annual update, I'm ok on my own.

If it's a doing appointment, I go with someone who can talk for me as I shut down with too much stress and am not able to communicate in a timely manner. (I realise I'm not the only patient they have to deal with so I try to make their lives as easy as possible while they deal with tricky patients).

The whole touching thing - I've given up caring - they have seen it all, done it all, to all types of people - probably a lot worse than me - so I step out of the situation.

I have problems with needles - I'm only interested in the second of the needle going in - I explain that to them so I can relax up until that point.

I can then control myself for a short period while they do the neccessary. I'm absolutely shattered afterwards.

I then need time at home to decompress and mull over what has happened to process it and make sure I'm happy with the future direction of treatment.

• I think they're mainly doing appointments. I haven't really got someone to take with me to explain. I don't think controlling myself will be a problem. Like you say I can for the shirt time while necessary. It's just the build up. I get do worried. And I forget to ask all the things I want to ask at the end of the appointment and go home and worry more. I'm only really used to gp appointments, not hospital ones though.

• You have total control - you can withdraw your consent to anything right to the last second.

If you put your issues and fears in writing, (keep it short & simple) they will be able to appreciate the severity of your anxiety and they will try to put your mind at rest.

They will be very kind to you.

Explain about your inability to ask the right questions - most consultants are happy for you to contact their secretary afterwards or e-mail them about the things you forget - I have to do it as my memory is useless too.

• You have total control - you can withdraw your consent to anything right to the last second.

If you put your issues and fears in writing, (keep it short & simple) they will be able to appreciate the severity of your anxiety and they will try to put your mind at rest.

They will be very kind to you.

Explain about your inability to ask the right questions - most consultants are happy for you to contact their secretary afterwards or e-mail them about the things you forget - I have to do it as my memory is useless too.

Children