Hospital Appointments

How do people deal with hospital appointments? I don't have much experience with them but they make me really anxious. I've been referred for a few since a doctor's appointment on Friday. I'm really worried because I don't know exactly what will happen or where to go etc. I'm also worried they are going to find something wrong so anxiety is through the roof at the moment. I also hate being touched so this isn't helping as I know they will have to touch me in order for the appointments to go ahead. I've got the dates for 2 of the appointments but there is also a 3rd. It should come through on a letter but I get worried that it won't come and I'll miss it but I feel silly ringing up to ask. It hasn't been very long I realise but the doctor did say the appointment should happen within 3 weeks. I also will have to ask for time off work which I hate. The whole thing just makes me feel physically sick. Does anyone have any good strategies for dealing with this stuff?

Parents
  • I spend a lot of time in hospitals - I tell the people booking the appointments of my problems and they try to get me the first appointment of the day - this minimises the time I have to spend in the environment.

It also depends on the type of appointment - whether it's a 'talking' one or a 'doing' one. I find the talking ones difficult because I overload quickly so if it is going to be important decisions being made, I take someone with me to be my memory and advocate.

If it's just an annual update, I'm ok on my own.

If it's a doing appointment, I go with someone who can talk for me as I shut down with too much stress and am not able to communicate in a timely manner. (I realise I'm not the only patient they have to deal with so I try to make their lives as easy as possible while they deal with tricky patients).

The whole touching thing - I've given up caring - they have seen it all, done it all, to all types of people - probably a lot worse than me - so I step out of the situation.

I have problems with needles - I'm only interested in the second of the needle going in - I explain that to them so I can relax up until that point.

I can then control myself for a short period while they do the neccessary. I'm absolutely shattered afterwards.

I then need time at home to decompress and mull over what has happened to process it and make sure I'm happy with the future direction of treatment.

• I spend a lot of time in hospitals - I tell the people booking the appointments of my problems and they try to get me the first appointment of the day - this minimises the time I have to spend in the environment.

It also depends on the type of appointment - whether it's a 'talking' one or a 'doing' one. I find the talking ones difficult because I overload quickly so if it is going to be important decisions being made, I take someone with me to be my memory and advocate.

If it's just an annual update, I'm ok on my own.

If it's a doing appointment, I go with someone who can talk for me as I shut down with too much stress and am not able to communicate in a timely manner. (I realise I'm not the only patient they have to deal with so I try to make their lives as easy as possible while they deal with tricky patients).

The whole touching thing - I've given up caring - they have seen it all, done it all, to all types of people - probably a lot worse than me - so I step out of the situation.

I have problems with needles - I'm only interested in the second of the needle going in - I explain that to them so I can relax up until that point.

I can then control myself for a short period while they do the neccessary. I'm absolutely shattered afterwards.

I then need time at home to decompress and mull over what has happened to process it and make sure I'm happy with the future direction of treatment.

Children
  • I think they're mainly doing appointments. I haven't really got someone to take with me to explain. I don't think controlling myself will be a problem. Like you say I can for the shirt time while necessary. It's just the build up. I get do worried. And I forget to ask all the things I want to ask at the end of the appointment and go home and worry more. I'm only really used to gp appointments, not hospital ones though.