Do non Autistics intuitively "know" how to act and communicate?

I read on this website that "Other people appear to know, intuitively, how to communicate and interact with each other, but Autistics do not", but believe this statement to be completely untrue in so many ways.

I do not believe that there is any one way to interact and communicate and nor do i believe anyone, even non autistic could possibly be thought of as someone that "knows" how to act and communicate in every given situation.

I believe making wrong statements like this just causes confusion.

Would do you think?

Do you think there are people out there that just intuitively "know" how to act and communicate? In that case, what happens when they come across someone that has more experience and is more intelligent than them?

Parents
  • Let me describe my recent experience at communicating.

In my last job there were three distinct groups of people.

1. The management.  Communicating with them was very difficult.  Everything I did seemed to rub them up the wrong way.  And miscommunication all the time.
    2. Workmates.  I Communicated well with about half of them.  Some were just impossible to understand.
    3. The clients.  Who were people the mental &  physical disabilities and severe communication difficulties.  With these people I communicated very well.  Once I got to know them I could intuitively understand their needs and non verbal communication.  

The fact that I am able to communicate with people who themselves have communication difficulties says something about me.  Is this positive, negative or ????   I don't know.

• "severe communication difficulties.  With these people I communicated very well."

So you recognise that there are people out there with severe mental and physical disabilities aswell as severe communication difficulties and in the very next breath you say you can communicate with them very well?

Obviously you do not have severe mental and physical difficulties as you are able to work, and talk, unlike them who cannot verbally communicate, yet you class yourself as suffering from the same problem as them? Is this not a bit disrespectful to them, considering you are nothing like them and despite what you think, you will not be able to properly understand them at-all.

Do you think they would be capable of working and holding even misguided conversations with management?

Why do you accept being told by a professional you have the same condition as those people? when you clearly do not!

Why do you claim to be able to have good communication with people who you yourself state cannot communicate?

What you really mean is that you are able to pull off limited communication with a non verbal autistic to as successful a degree as could be expected.

Also you feel you communicated well because you did not feel inferior to them.

They on the otherhand probably did not leave the meeting feeling as though they communicated well

• "severe communication difficulties.  With these people I communicated very well."

So you recognise that there are people out there with severe mental and physical disabilities aswell as severe communication difficulties and in the very next breath you say you can communicate with them very well?

Obviously you do not have severe mental and physical difficulties as you are able to work, and talk, unlike them who cannot verbally communicate, yet you class yourself as suffering from the same problem as them? Is this not a bit disrespectful to them, considering you are nothing like them and despite what you think, you will not be able to properly understand them at-all.

Do you think they would be capable of working and holding even misguided conversations with management?

Why do you accept being told by a professional you have the same condition as those people? when you clearly do not!

Why do you claim to be able to have good communication with people who you yourself state cannot communicate?

What you really mean is that you are able to pull off limited communication with a non verbal autistic to as successful a degree as could be expected.

Also you feel you communicated well because you did not feel inferior to them.

They on the otherhand probably did not leave the meeting feeling as though they communicated well

Children
No Data