Aspie Women (and guest visitors)

Been good to hear from any adult ASD diagnosed women in this forum... or does anyone know any good sites for ASD women? What are your experiences? 

...previous thread clogged as now months into its lifespan) ,.....

• I am a new, CONSPICUOUS visitor/guest to this thread. All I request in this post is, if it is not someplace here already, can you please post a "LINK" to your stated as "clogged" "previous thread"; or specify "keywords" for entering into the SEARCH box... because I cannot find it.

(I blame NAS and not you, for making it difficult to find, so this post is not a slight at you, only a request (...!). Good evening to one and all, in any case.)

...if this post shows up twice, then apologies and it was accidental (!)

• See ya...and good to hear from you x

• Morning Ellie.Slight smilehope you have a nice weekend. . x. Yes I would like them to understand those things too and for it to matter and make a difference but the response has been .. you are who you are , you haven’t changed, we still have to put up with you as you are and have done for years. In a way they’re not interested in why. But we are and as a validation for that. Tough isn’t it? Maybe I’m just not imagining how they’ll feel when they know... got to dash but be back later. 

• I would like other people to be able to understand....a kind of apology if you like....this is why I wasn,t the daughter, you expected, the wife, the mother.....but I have achieved many things but fundamentally I find life challenging and people frightening. . Slight smilemorning Missy 

• Yes I did watch it (mentioned in thread above .. somewhere) . I think it’s hard to expose ourselves in that way celebrity or not. I think he has taken a long time to accept who he is and not apologising for adapting his life accordingly. I am struggling with the argument about sticking up for ourselves and fighting to be heard and understood amongst all the other people who have issues and problems and disabilities who also want the same thing. And the point that there are millions who are in that category so why should people generally be aware of all those different issues and problems? I don’t know the answer. I do want acknowledgement in the big wide world that the male version of asd and adhd is just one version and what the more female one looks like especially for al ( male or female) the undiagnosed or unaware to help them identify in themselves if they may ND. You will always get those people who ignore and those willing to support people with ND. But as you said in another post Awareness is the start of less ignorance about us. I think I’m confused by the whole subject really. It matters hugely to me because of the effect it’s had on my life but it hasn’t as yet changed anything but me trying to accept myself more and connecting on here. 

• Did you watch the Chris Packham programme on his Aspers? I like the way he didn’t see the need to apologise for who he is....maybe that is one of the reasons we get tarred with the unempathic badge? 

• Yes the ignorance does make me sad but the attitude towards it is worse. As a group we are just one of many with differences to deal with in our daily lives and people see our self centredness in fighting to be heard and understood as very  selfish  

• Certainly opportunity for that on the radio forgotten what it’s called two people record a conversation about a topic in a listening booth. Anything to promote awareness. Especially for all the Aspergers people who don’t know they have it. 

• Hope all is not affliction art the moment 

• I was thinking of a 2 minute taking head by an Aspie just before the news...you’ve had your day at work, ...here’s a snap shot of how someone with ASD got through their day x

• I was looking for suitably famous women to show an alternative perspective but there are not many to be found. I then found this article which backs up the need for more exposure... but it does require women to speak up and speak out about ourselves and not sure how great we are at that ( with exceptions of course). www.google.co.uk/.../amp

• Yes I did. Very proactive well done. I haven’t been back to the drs couldn’t face it but see my own Gp at the end of the month .. will see if still afflicted then. But  have been very quiet mostly. 

• More rock than tick....do you see that I emailed Channel 4 requesting an adult woman perspective.... x

whats the latest from the doctors ??

• Hello Ellie. Thank you for asking. I’ve not gone as such. I had a bit of a set back and really haven’t felt well and tired a lot of the time. Sorry I haven’t had the energy to contribute or get involved. I read one or two threads but realised it was more than I could manage and overwhelmed by it all. I have been out a little bit with mixed results. I did watch the Chris Packham programme. I thought he was very generous, and brave to come out and speak up in the way that he did including traveling to usa. But most of the comments everyone made on here I thought too. The behaviour modification and electrodes were horrific , the tech industry admirable and yes some well known woman with other traits and less savant type would balance out the picture. 

Hope you are all ticking over

• Are you out there Missy? Are you feeling better now? 

• And some of the positives of ASD (if you transpose the letters spells sad)...

• I believe my eldest daughter is on the spectrum and her boyfriend too.the more I learn about it the more I am sure.

Maybe this is an uprising,we can teach the non thinking greedy people who currently make the decisions how wrong they are Lol.

• I also suspect that my dad and brother are as well....and my first husband probably......can’t seem to shake you guys off! Lol.....well done for going to the doctor x

• I can’t remember if I updated you lot, but I’ve been to the doctors and asked for an assessment.  I have to fill out another questionnaire and then, if I meet the threshold, I will be referred.

I mentioned it to my brother and was quite surprised by his response- he’s autistic (not sure if self diagnosed or not), and we both firmly believe my Dad is on the Spectrum too.  I know my mother showed some traits but she died last year. So, after doubting myself and wondering if I was autistic, it looks as though my entire family are!

• This is so interesting to me...I read somewhere that there is a theory that Aspies fall in introvert/extrovert categories. I don't know if there is any truth in that but I seem to have shifted from being very outgoing to being much more relaxed when alone or with just my husband. I love being around the children in the extended family (no fear of judgements I guess) but that's not exactly relaxing! Much happier (or just less stressed?) alone, truth be told. I think that having such a bad menopause has provoked this. It could be that it is socially very difficult to deal with bad hot flushes - for 11 years - but I feel there must be a more profound link than that. My memory is not what it was either and I put that down to menopause. I and my GP have tried everything for the hot flushes. The only thing left seems to be Gabapentin but I think that might be addictive. So I don't go to work anymore and see very few people socially and have stopped doing further education courses and just meander through the days...

Like you, I think the menopause has made autistic traits much more pronounced. Even I noticed them! When I mentioned autism to my husband, he was much less surprised at the idea that I might have it than I was!

Anyway I'm rambling. But I'm so glad to have found this site.