Aspie Women (and guest visitors)

Been good to hear from any adult ASD diagnosed women in this forum... or does anyone know any good sites for ASD women? What are your experiences? 

...previous thread clogged as now months into its lifespan) ,.....

Parents
  • This is obviously a conversation that isn't worn out. Personally I'm quite convinced that menopause is what has tipped me over the edge and made my thinking and behaviour recognisably autistic and ADHD-istic.

It's still a hammer blow but it feels like there's a chance of being kinder to myself in the future. Maybe we are the research...

• This is obviously a conversation that isn't worn out. Personally I'm quite convinced that menopause is what has tipped me over the edge and made my thinking and behaviour recognisably autistic and ADHD-istic.

It's still a hammer blow but it feels like there's a chance of being kinder to myself in the future. Maybe we are the research...

Children
  • This is so interesting to me...I read somewhere that there is a theory that Aspies fall in introvert/extrovert categories. I don't know if there is any truth in that but I seem to have shifted from being very outgoing to being much more relaxed when alone or with just my husband. I love being around the children in the extended family (no fear of judgements I guess) but that's not exactly relaxing! Much happier (or just less stressed?) alone, truth be told. I think that having such a bad menopause has provoked this. It could be that it is socially very difficult to deal with bad hot flushes - for 11 years - but I feel there must be a more profound link than that. My memory is not what it was either and I put that down to menopause. I and my GP have tried everything for the hot flushes. The only thing left seems to be Gabapentin but I think that might be addictive. So I don't go to work anymore and see very few people socially and have stopped doing further education courses and just meander through the days...

Like you, I think the menopause has made autistic traits much more pronounced. Even I noticed them! When I mentioned autism to my husband, he was much less surprised at the idea that I might have it than I was!

Anyway I'm rambling. But I'm so glad to have found this site.

• Hey you! I think the Aspie traits have always been there but the hormone ouch has meant that our usual coping and masking strategies can’t cope so well with it x well put Spotty xx be kind to yourself xx