Autism at Work

What are peoples opinions on disclosing your diagnosis to your employer? Have you disclosed it, at what point, and what happened? How was you treated by others at work, was it inclusive?

I was diagnosed this year and have been with the same employer for 7 years with very few difficulties. I had a tough time in a particular role but then changed to a more suitable one.

I disclosed my diagnosis in June but to date, the company hasn't actually agreed any reasonable adjustment.

Since I've never applied for a job having a diagnosis, I don't know whether and when I'd disclose it. I would be very cautious of doing so before receving an official contract offer, I'd rather get the job on my merits and I would worry I would be treated unfavourably by doing so. I don't think I would ever make use of the Guaranteed Inverview Scheme.

Parents
  • To answer the original question, I disclosed to my manager as soon as I realised I had ASD. The year before, we'd had a round of redundancies at work, and then a reshuffle so everyone got a new manager. My new manager didn't know me at all. There was a problem whereby I was moved to a new team but not assigned any work, no-one had moved desks to go into their new teams yet (so everything was done by e-mail), and it was August so everyone was taking holiday. So I was in the position where I had not been given any work, there was no-one around to ask, and I didn't know anyone in the new team. The end result was that I was seen as "underperforming" and so I got no annual bonus. I was furious, because I'd been put in a bad situation and then been punished for what was out of my control. In my annual rating I usually get "outstanding", which means I overperform compared to the rest of the people at my level. I don't put in extra hours (my routine is very specific!), I just really excel at solving technical probems in a way no-one else can. In fact, I had asked for voluntary redundancy but my current manager denied it because my brain is such an asset to the company. My new manager's reasons for giving me "underperforming" also included "doesn't speak up in meetings". I wrote him a big long rant e-mail explaining everything in perfect logic about why I did these things (I don't know when it's my turn to talk, I don't know when people are addressing me), but that was seen as nonsense. Luckily for me, I went on an "Introduction to autism" course a few months after the annual bonuses were given, and saw myself in every slide. I disclosed to my manager a few days later, told him what autism was and how it affects people, and he immediately saw that my "failings" were actually just autistic traits, and he immediately became supportive and it's been completely accepted since then. HR and the other manager in my area know, and my managers see it as a gift (partially because that's how I pitched it to them - that there's some things I can't do so others in the team should do those bits instead, but on the other hand I have problem-solving and analysis skills which are far superior to anyone they will ever meet - and they've seen the results of this with their own eyes, so they understand it to be true).

I haven't disclosed to any of my colleagues. They just think of me as a stereotypical geek - no chit-chat, task-focussed, and very good at technical work - so I let them think that. I'm also in a very supportive environment, in that I can act like that and it doesn't bother anyone, they just accept that's me. I'm not rude to people, although I can be a bit sharp if they're being illogical, I'm polite and make them laugh and always help them when they need something solving or they ask me for some help with something, so I just look like a generally friendly person who's good at what they do and will help others if they ask for it.

The reason I haven't disclosed to my colleagues is that I have no control over how they would think of me. I'm still the same person and they might treat me differently - not because they're being mean, but because they don't understand what it means, and even if I told them, they don't really have any concept of what it's like. So, for me there's no real point. I don't think I'd benefit from it, and I can see cases where it would change my relationship with them for the worse.

I would do the same if I had a new employer. My brain and way of thinking is my biggest employable asset, so I'd tell them in the interview (I'm not sure if I'd put it on my CV) and then play up to the stereotype of being able to do highly-focussed work - and being a massive asset to the company for solving problems is a real Unique Selling Point for me. And if I got the job, I'd tell my managers and HR, but not my colleagues. Best just to let them get to know me and my quirks, and leave it at that.

• To answer the original question, I disclosed to my manager as soon as I realised I had ASD. The year before, we'd had a round of redundancies at work, and then a reshuffle so everyone got a new manager. My new manager didn't know me at all. There was a problem whereby I was moved to a new team but not assigned any work, no-one had moved desks to go into their new teams yet (so everything was done by e-mail), and it was August so everyone was taking holiday. So I was in the position where I had not been given any work, there was no-one around to ask, and I didn't know anyone in the new team. The end result was that I was seen as "underperforming" and so I got no annual bonus. I was furious, because I'd been put in a bad situation and then been punished for what was out of my control. In my annual rating I usually get "outstanding", which means I overperform compared to the rest of the people at my level. I don't put in extra hours (my routine is very specific!), I just really excel at solving technical probems in a way no-one else can. In fact, I had asked for voluntary redundancy but my current manager denied it because my brain is such an asset to the company. My new manager's reasons for giving me "underperforming" also included "doesn't speak up in meetings". I wrote him a big long rant e-mail explaining everything in perfect logic about why I did these things (I don't know when it's my turn to talk, I don't know when people are addressing me), but that was seen as nonsense. Luckily for me, I went on an "Introduction to autism" course a few months after the annual bonuses were given, and saw myself in every slide. I disclosed to my manager a few days later, told him what autism was and how it affects people, and he immediately saw that my "failings" were actually just autistic traits, and he immediately became supportive and it's been completely accepted since then. HR and the other manager in my area know, and my managers see it as a gift (partially because that's how I pitched it to them - that there's some things I can't do so others in the team should do those bits instead, but on the other hand I have problem-solving and analysis skills which are far superior to anyone they will ever meet - and they've seen the results of this with their own eyes, so they understand it to be true).

I haven't disclosed to any of my colleagues. They just think of me as a stereotypical geek - no chit-chat, task-focussed, and very good at technical work - so I let them think that. I'm also in a very supportive environment, in that I can act like that and it doesn't bother anyone, they just accept that's me. I'm not rude to people, although I can be a bit sharp if they're being illogical, I'm polite and make them laugh and always help them when they need something solving or they ask me for some help with something, so I just look like a generally friendly person who's good at what they do and will help others if they ask for it.

The reason I haven't disclosed to my colleagues is that I have no control over how they would think of me. I'm still the same person and they might treat me differently - not because they're being mean, but because they don't understand what it means, and even if I told them, they don't really have any concept of what it's like. So, for me there's no real point. I don't think I'd benefit from it, and I can see cases where it would change my relationship with them for the worse.

I would do the same if I had a new employer. My brain and way of thinking is my biggest employable asset, so I'd tell them in the interview (I'm not sure if I'd put it on my CV) and then play up to the stereotype of being able to do highly-focussed work - and being a massive asset to the company for solving problems is a real Unique Selling Point for me. And if I got the job, I'd tell my managers and HR, but not my colleagues. Best just to let them get to know me and my quirks, and leave it at that.

Children
No Data