Autism at Work

What are peoples opinions on disclosing your diagnosis to your employer? Have you disclosed it, at what point, and what happened? How was you treated by others at work, was it inclusive?

I was diagnosed this year and have been with the same employer for 7 years with very few difficulties. I had a tough time in a particular role but then changed to a more suitable one.

I disclosed my diagnosis in June but to date, the company hasn't actually agreed any reasonable adjustment.

Since I've never applied for a job having a diagnosis, I don't know whether and when I'd disclose it. I would be very cautious of doing so before receving an official contract offer, I'd rather get the job on my merits and I would worry I would be treated unfavourably by doing so. I don't think I would ever make use of the Guaranteed Inverview Scheme.

• To answer the original question, I disclosed to my manager as soon as I realised I had ASD. The year before, we'd had a round of redundancies at work, and then a reshuffle so everyone got a new manager. My new manager didn't know me at all. There was a problem whereby I was moved to a new team but not assigned any work, no-one had moved desks to go into their new teams yet (so everything was done by e-mail), and it was August so everyone was taking holiday. So I was in the position where I had not been given any work, there was no-one around to ask, and I didn't know anyone in the new team. The end result was that I was seen as "underperforming" and so I got no annual bonus. I was furious, because I'd been put in a bad situation and then been punished for what was out of my control. In my annual rating I usually get "outstanding", which means I overperform compared to the rest of the people at my level. I don't put in extra hours (my routine is very specific!), I just really excel at solving technical probems in a way no-one else can. In fact, I had asked for voluntary redundancy but my current manager denied it because my brain is such an asset to the company. My new manager's reasons for giving me "underperforming" also included "doesn't speak up in meetings". I wrote him a big long rant e-mail explaining everything in perfect logic about why I did these things (I don't know when it's my turn to talk, I don't know when people are addressing me), but that was seen as nonsense. Luckily for me, I went on an "Introduction to autism" course a few months after the annual bonuses were given, and saw myself in every slide. I disclosed to my manager a few days later, told him what autism was and how it affects people, and he immediately saw that my "failings" were actually just autistic traits, and he immediately became supportive and it's been completely accepted since then. HR and the other manager in my area know, and my managers see it as a gift (partially because that's how I pitched it to them - that there's some things I can't do so others in the team should do those bits instead, but on the other hand I have problem-solving and analysis skills which are far superior to anyone they will ever meet - and they've seen the results of this with their own eyes, so they understand it to be true).

I haven't disclosed to any of my colleagues. They just think of me as a stereotypical geek - no chit-chat, task-focussed, and very good at technical work - so I let them think that. I'm also in a very supportive environment, in that I can act like that and it doesn't bother anyone, they just accept that's me. I'm not rude to people, although I can be a bit sharp if they're being illogical, I'm polite and make them laugh and always help them when they need something solving or they ask me for some help with something, so I just look like a generally friendly person who's good at what they do and will help others if they ask for it.

The reason I haven't disclosed to my colleagues is that I have no control over how they would think of me. I'm still the same person and they might treat me differently - not because they're being mean, but because they don't understand what it means, and even if I told them, they don't really have any concept of what it's like. So, for me there's no real point. I don't think I'd benefit from it, and I can see cases where it would change my relationship with them for the worse.

I would do the same if I had a new employer. My brain and way of thinking is my biggest employable asset, so I'd tell them in the interview (I'm not sure if I'd put it on my CV) and then play up to the stereotype of being able to do highly-focussed work - and being a massive asset to the company for solving problems is a real Unique Selling Point for me. And if I got the job, I'd tell my managers and HR, but not my colleagues. Best just to let them get to know me and my quirks, and leave it at that.

• Acoll said:

My problem now is that since my diagnosis I've been worrying about it, and recently have struggled at work. They have asked how they can help - but I don't know - so if anyone can suggest what sort of things help them at work maybe it'll help me!

If you can analyse which bits specifically you've been struggling with, that can help identify where you can get help.

The main thing I struggle with at work is "organising and scheduling", when I'm doing a large task which will impact other people and I have to arrange a suitable time with a number of different teams for me to make the change. I can't do this at all. After reading some autism books it sounds like I have a "weak Executive function". Following disclosure of my diagnosis to my managers, I just don't do that aspect of the work now, I give it to someone else in the team who is good at that sort of thing. It's a win-win - the company gets the task solved in the most efficient way because we've broken it down into it's component parts and given the sub-tasks to the most able. I do the highly techical part of the solution, which is what I excel at, and I do that far better than anyone else in the team could, and someone else arranges when we can implement it.

There is an expectation at my company for everyone to be a "T-shaped person" - a general breadth of knowledge and expertise in the work, and then a depth of expertise in one particular area. I think of myself as less of a T and more of an I because there's certain things I can't do, and I can't learn to do, such as the organising thing. My brain just doesn't grasp it despite undertaking training - but when I pointed out it makes more sense in my case to give "organising" to someone else, as the team will get a better outcome - the managers agreed that it makes perfect sense. I come into work each day, solve what "normal" people see as very difficult problems (where others would take 5 times as long to come up with an inferior solution), and the company gets a big win.

It's great if you can analyse which bits you struggle with, and then practise to become better at those, but also remember that one solution is always "it's okay to just get someone else to do that bit", because you will excel in other areas.

The above is asuming that it's part of the work you're struggling with. Dealing with getting a diagnosis can also be difficult, because it changes how you think about yourself. It might just be that you're still processing it and that's overwhelming you. It sounds like you have supportive managers, so just take your time and try to have a think about what's happening when you start feeling stressed at work. Autism is different for everyone; I'm not sure if there's a list of "these are the things people with autism can struggle with" apart from the social stuff, so see if you can determine that yourself or maybe by speaking with someone.

• Acoll said:

My problem now is that since my diagnosis I've been worrying about it, and recently have struggled at work. They have asked how they can help - but I don't know - so if anyone can suggest what sort of things help them at work maybe it'll help me!

Hi Acoll

I would certainly consider looking at Access to Work, this is a government scheme.  They will arrange to see you in  your workplace and see the work you do and find out why you are struggling and suggest adjustments your employer should put in place.  They can give a grant to offset any costs of support or equipment that you may require, the grant can help a local support group give you support at work, provide training for the employer to be able to support you, or provide money for the employer to put the adjustments into place.  It costs you nothing.

https://www.gov.uk/access-to-work/overview

Worth a try!

A union is also always well worth the money, among the advantages is free legal assistance as well as support in dealings with the employers.

• I got diagnosed with Aspergers about a year ago, in my mid 40s. 

My current manager was also my manager at a different company about 8 years ago, and when I said I had been diagnosed, she said she wasn't surprised as she had thought I had "something like that" all along.

• In my current position, I have been at for 8 months, was the first time I'd ever disclosed. 5 months in, my employer told me that perception was everything and my coworker’s perception of me was not really positive. One lady said she was afraid of me. She had never spoken a word to me, only had that impression because of my demeanor. I have never, ever raised my voice, always try to be kind, but I am a pretty quiet person. Anywho, others said I was rude, intimidating, etc. So I disclosed to my bosses wife. I felt the need to or I could lose my job over social inadequacies. After that he scaled back the forced contact between me and most of the company. It works great for me now and I'm much happier. Besides, who wants the accounting department to get side tracked in socializing anyway? lol

• Okay, I didn't expect about the 4th thread I click on to mention my home town.  That's just spooky.  That statue gets a lot of photos... and that's me outed to any relatives who have a reasonably high probability of using this forum (who I hope will not make a fuss but rather let me deal with my internal concerns my own way ^_~  (smileys don't seem to be working)), which is somewhat embarrassing to me, but I couldn't not comment on that.

Annnnyway

I think if I got diagnosed with anything, I'd let them know.  10 years in they've been tolerant so far, but I know when they do want rid of someone for whatever reason that's when quietly saved ammunition like "this list of colleagues have mentioned over the years that you don't look them in the eye" suddenly comes out to play, so it would probably assist my defence if that ever happened.  
    Whether I'd put it down when applying for a job elsewhere, if I did so, is more tricky.  I'm pretty reasonable at "fake it til you make it" and wouldn't want to put anyone off.  Yet if it was omitted and then disclosed later, I'm not sure, I think that'd be a sackable sort of offence if they spin it as a lie of ommission at the time of application.  It's one reason I'm not in a hurry to actually get a formal diagnosis.
  • Yes true MistressBelle,

Tho I don't really have certificates for care or support work I ended up doing care work for elderly folks as I looked after my disabled then husband for 8 years (we remain friends he has MS).  I did sort of come to resent the personal care side of things. A support worker wasn't the job I had in mind long term. I did apply as that was the only way I;d get my HGV licence if I paid for it myself. Tho I think taking the supported people out was fun.  My fella did say to maybe go to my managers managerm so I'm awaiting for her to investigate. Tho many colleagues appear to get on well with the manager. Just things that weren't a problem seemed only to become a problem 3 months or so after the alleged event. I could go on , but I won't bore you with the details, my mamanger seemed to make out my internet & phone calls are being monitored, tho that includes my home useage, as I've only phoned paybills/HR from my landline. Is she trying to make me paranoid or what!!!

I know as a teen I wanted to be a train driver or join the RAF, I did work on the railway, til I got made redundant and my then husband began to need f/t care. I'd love to test the water to see if HGV driving is my thing. I'd love to get every type of driving licence I can, have cars, but want to get motorbike licence, have riddden off road   once on a bike that was probably a death trap. I'd love to get HGV licence even if just to say I had it, tho blame Fiona from Eddie Stobart Trucks & Trailers and Mia and Lisa from Ice Road Truckers for planting that seed in my head.

If I don't drive HGVs I could see myself as an activities organiser in an old folks home, or even better would be something involved with the arts, like helping to put together period costumes or trying to source period items for Tv programmes. I think my ideal would be working in a railway or perhaps a music museum, or there's a Laurel and Hardy museum, I love Stan and Ollie, only problem with that it's in Ulverston. Cumbria, birthplace of Stan Laurel, so is rather  far. There doesn't seem to be many (railway) museums near here.

OH yes Trainspotter you'd most likley know about this I wasn't a train driver tho I've driven two British Railways Class 31 diesels 31 202 and 31 282. For anyone who is wondering what I'm going on about re Class 31s here's a link. preserved-diesels.co.uk/.../index_31.htm

• I never had a problem at work until the whole structure of work changed - duties, place and structure of work- due to a TUPE and my previous position being not available in the new organisation. (A TUPE happens when your employers duties are taken over by another and you are transferred to the new employer under the same terms and conditions as your old employer).

I was taken out of work I enjoyed doing and had control over to a position where I had no control over how I did the job or timescales.  The result - a massive meltdown and an extended period off with anxiety and depression (stress).

I had not previously declared my ASD, as it was not giving me any problems.  People thought I was 'strange' and had peculiar ways of solving problems, but I was accepted for what I was.

However, I now feel, due to my meltdown, that I had to declare it.  They are still procrastinating about what adjustments to give but they don't seem to understand that I just cannot turn off my condition at will.  It is there, in the background, ready to manifest itself when the occasion arises.

I can't pretend things are positive at all, far from it, but I am hopeful of some mutually agreed resolution - eventually!

• Hi KillerQueen1971,

Hmm, i see what you mean - some people just dont care, or get scared because they have to waste their money to train you (a lot of old rubbish). the trick is is to say you have got aspergers but show them evidence that you are capable enough to take on this job. Things like certificates of achievements, anything like that. 

Your right about leaving - i wouldnt hang around this manager for sure - sounds like a nasty piece of work! 

Good Luck! 

Belle x 

• I'm not sure if I would declare my ASD/Aspergers to an employer. I did start work for an organisation that supports people with learning disabilities, and also ASD.  I did say to my manager that I may be an aspie, but wasn;t sure. I've currently not had any work since the end of October, I'm on a zero hours contract. I've found out that my manager is a bully. I in the last few days went to her manager , awaiting to hear back.  I've only been confirmed as an aspie since middle of November. I'll think I'll be looking for another job after Christmas/Yule, luckily my employment advisor found a way I could work and keep my ESA. I thought my manager seemed pleasant enough at first, but then she's turned nasty!!!

• Hi gramit108

I believe that its important to - as your employer and other employers will have a clearer understanding and work with you and not go behind your back or call your nasty names when you dont act the way that they do. 

For me, i disclosed it not in my CV,  but at the interview itself - i know its scary, but if they are a good employer, they will admire you on your bravery. Luckily for me, they accept people who are different and welcomed me with open arms. 

Its all about trust. Look at the person and ask yourself if you trust them. I'm sure that they wont treat you horribly - employers should NEVER EVER DO THAT. 

But do remember, it is your choice to.

Hope this helps,

Belle x