Autism at Work

What are peoples opinions on disclosing your diagnosis to your employer? Have you disclosed it, at what point, and what happened? How was you treated by others at work, was it inclusive?

I was diagnosed this year and have been with the same employer for 7 years with very few difficulties. I had a tough time in a particular role but then changed to a more suitable one.

I disclosed my diagnosis in June but to date, the company hasn't actually agreed any reasonable adjustment.

Since I've never applied for a job having a diagnosis, I don't know whether and when I'd disclose it. I would be very cautious of doing so before receving an official contract offer, I'd rather get the job on my merits and I would worry I would be treated unfavourably by doing so. I don't think I would ever make use of the Guaranteed Inverview Scheme.

Parents
  • I got diagnosed with Aspergers about a year ago, in my mid 40s. 

My current manager was also my manager at a different company about 8 years ago, and when I said I had been diagnosed, she said she wasn't surprised as she had thought I had "something like that" all along.

My problem now is that since my diagnosis I've been worrying about it, and recently have struggled at work. They have asked how they can help - but I don't know - so if anyone can suggest what sort of things help them at work maybe it'll help me!

• I got diagnosed with Aspergers about a year ago, in my mid 40s. 

My current manager was also my manager at a different company about 8 years ago, and when I said I had been diagnosed, she said she wasn't surprised as she had thought I had "something like that" all along.

My problem now is that since my diagnosis I've been worrying about it, and recently have struggled at work. They have asked how they can help - but I don't know - so if anyone can suggest what sort of things help them at work maybe it'll help me!

Children
No Data