Autism at Work

What are peoples opinions on disclosing your diagnosis to your employer? Have you disclosed it, at what point, and what happened? How was you treated by others at work, was it inclusive?

I was diagnosed this year and have been with the same employer for 7 years with very few difficulties. I had a tough time in a particular role but then changed to a more suitable one.

I disclosed my diagnosis in June but to date, the company hasn't actually agreed any reasonable adjustment.

Since I've never applied for a job having a diagnosis, I don't know whether and when I'd disclose it. I would be very cautious of doing so before receving an official contract offer, I'd rather get the job on my merits and I would worry I would be treated unfavourably by doing so. I don't think I would ever make use of the Guaranteed Inverview Scheme.

Parents
  • In my current position, I have been at for 8 months, was the first time I'd ever disclosed. 5 months in, my employer told me that perception was everything and my coworker’s perception of me was not really positive. One lady said she was afraid of me. She had never spoken a word to me, only had that impression because of my demeanor. I have never, ever raised my voice, always try to be kind, but I am a pretty quiet person. Anywho, others said I was rude, intimidating, etc. So I disclosed to my bosses wife. I felt the need to or I could lose my job over social inadequacies. After that he scaled back the forced contact between me and most of the company. It works great for me now and I'm much happier. Besides, who wants the accounting department to get side tracked in socializing anyway? lol

• In my current position, I have been at for 8 months, was the first time I'd ever disclosed. 5 months in, my employer told me that perception was everything and my coworker’s perception of me was not really positive. One lady said she was afraid of me. She had never spoken a word to me, only had that impression because of my demeanor. I have never, ever raised my voice, always try to be kind, but I am a pretty quiet person. Anywho, others said I was rude, intimidating, etc. So I disclosed to my bosses wife. I felt the need to or I could lose my job over social inadequacies. After that he scaled back the forced contact between me and most of the company. It works great for me now and I'm much happier. Besides, who wants the accounting department to get side tracked in socializing anyway? lol

Children
No Data