Autism at Work

What are peoples opinions on disclosing your diagnosis to your employer? Have you disclosed it, at what point, and what happened? How was you treated by others at work, was it inclusive?

I was diagnosed this year and have been with the same employer for 7 years with very few difficulties. I had a tough time in a particular role but then changed to a more suitable one.

I disclosed my diagnosis in June but to date, the company hasn't actually agreed any reasonable adjustment.

Since I've never applied for a job having a diagnosis, I don't know whether and when I'd disclose it. I would be very cautious of doing so before receving an official contract offer, I'd rather get the job on my merits and I would worry I would be treated unfavourably by doing so. I don't think I would ever make use of the Guaranteed Inverview Scheme.

Parents
  • Okay, I didn't expect about the 4th thread I click on to mention my home town.  That's just spooky.  That statue gets a lot of photos... and that's me outed to any relatives who have a reasonably high probability of using this forum (who I hope will not make a fuss but rather let me deal with my internal concerns my own way ^_~  (smileys don't seem to be working)), which is somewhat embarrassing to me, but I couldn't not comment on that.

Annnnyway

I think if I got diagnosed with anything, I'd let them know.  10 years in they've been tolerant so far, but I know when they do want rid of someone for whatever reason that's when quietly saved ammunition like "this list of colleagues have mentioned over the years that you don't look them in the eye" suddenly comes out to play, so it would probably assist my defence if that ever happened.  
    Whether I'd put it down when applying for a job elsewhere, if I did so, is more tricky.  I'm pretty reasonable at "fake it til you make it" and wouldn't want to put anyone off.  Yet if it was omitted and then disclosed later, I'm not sure, I think that'd be a sackable sort of offence if they spin it as a lie of ommission at the time of application.  It's one reason I'm not in a hurry to actually get a formal diagnosis.
  • Okay, I didn't expect about the 4th thread I click on to mention my home town.  That's just spooky.  That statue gets a lot of photos... and that's me outed to any relatives who have a reasonably high probability of using this forum (who I hope will not make a fuss but rather let me deal with my internal concerns my own way ^_~  (smileys don't seem to be working)), which is somewhat embarrassing to me, but I couldn't not comment on that.

Annnnyway

I think if I got diagnosed with anything, I'd let them know.  10 years in they've been tolerant so far, but I know when they do want rid of someone for whatever reason that's when quietly saved ammunition like "this list of colleagues have mentioned over the years that you don't look them in the eye" suddenly comes out to play, so it would probably assist my defence if that ever happened.  
    Whether I'd put it down when applying for a job elsewhere, if I did so, is more tricky.  I'm pretty reasonable at "fake it til you make it" and wouldn't want to put anyone off.  Yet if it was omitted and then disclosed later, I'm not sure, I think that'd be a sackable sort of offence if they spin it as a lie of ommission at the time of application.  It's one reason I'm not in a hurry to actually get a formal diagnosis.
Children
No Data