Autism at Work

What are peoples opinions on disclosing your diagnosis to your employer? Have you disclosed it, at what point, and what happened? How was you treated by others at work, was it inclusive?

I was diagnosed this year and have been with the same employer for 7 years with very few difficulties. I had a tough time in a particular role but then changed to a more suitable one.

I disclosed my diagnosis in June but to date, the company hasn't actually agreed any reasonable adjustment.

Since I've never applied for a job having a diagnosis, I don't know whether and when I'd disclose it. I would be very cautious of doing so before receving an official contract offer, I'd rather get the job on my merits and I would worry I would be treated unfavourably by doing so. I don't think I would ever make use of the Guaranteed Inverview Scheme.

Parents
  • Yes true MistressBelle,

Tho I don't really have certificates for care or support work I ended up doing care work for elderly folks as I looked after my disabled then husband for 8 years (we remain friends he has MS).  I did sort of come to resent the personal care side of things. A support worker wasn't the job I had in mind long term. I did apply as that was the only way I;d get my HGV licence if I paid for it myself. Tho I think taking the supported people out was fun.  My fella did say to maybe go to my managers managerm so I'm awaiting for her to investigate. Tho many colleagues appear to get on well with the manager. Just things that weren't a problem seemed only to become a problem 3 months or so after the alleged event. I could go on , but I won't bore you with the details, my mamanger seemed to make out my internet & phone calls are being monitored, tho that includes my home useage, as I've only phoned paybills/HR from my landline. Is she trying to make me paranoid or what!!!

I know as a teen I wanted to be a train driver or join the RAF, I did work on the railway, til I got made redundant and my then husband began to need f/t care. I'd love to test the water to see if HGV driving is my thing. I'd love to get every type of driving licence I can, have cars, but want to get motorbike licence, have riddden off road   once on a bike that was probably a death trap. I'd love to get HGV licence even if just to say I had it, tho blame Fiona from Eddie Stobart Trucks & Trailers and Mia and Lisa from Ice Road Truckers for planting that seed in my head.

If I don't drive HGVs I could see myself as an activities organiser in an old folks home, or even better would be something involved with the arts, like helping to put together period costumes or trying to source period items for Tv programmes. I think my ideal would be working in a railway or perhaps a music museum, or there's a Laurel and Hardy museum, I love Stan and Ollie, only problem with that it's in Ulverston. Cumbria, birthplace of Stan Laurel, so is rather  far. There doesn't seem to be many (railway) museums near here.

OH yes Trainspotter you'd most likley know about this I wasn't a train driver tho I've driven two British Railways Class 31 diesels 31 202 and 31 282. For anyone who is wondering what I'm going on about re Class 31s here's a link. preserved-diesels.co.uk/.../index_31.htm

• Yes true MistressBelle,

Tho I don't really have certificates for care or support work I ended up doing care work for elderly folks as I looked after my disabled then husband for 8 years (we remain friends he has MS).  I did sort of come to resent the personal care side of things. A support worker wasn't the job I had in mind long term. I did apply as that was the only way I;d get my HGV licence if I paid for it myself. Tho I think taking the supported people out was fun.  My fella did say to maybe go to my managers managerm so I'm awaiting for her to investigate. Tho many colleagues appear to get on well with the manager. Just things that weren't a problem seemed only to become a problem 3 months or so after the alleged event. I could go on , but I won't bore you with the details, my mamanger seemed to make out my internet & phone calls are being monitored, tho that includes my home useage, as I've only phoned paybills/HR from my landline. Is she trying to make me paranoid or what!!!

I know as a teen I wanted to be a train driver or join the RAF, I did work on the railway, til I got made redundant and my then husband began to need f/t care. I'd love to test the water to see if HGV driving is my thing. I'd love to get every type of driving licence I can, have cars, but want to get motorbike licence, have riddden off road   once on a bike that was probably a death trap. I'd love to get HGV licence even if just to say I had it, tho blame Fiona from Eddie Stobart Trucks & Trailers and Mia and Lisa from Ice Road Truckers for planting that seed in my head.

If I don't drive HGVs I could see myself as an activities organiser in an old folks home, or even better would be something involved with the arts, like helping to put together period costumes or trying to source period items for Tv programmes. I think my ideal would be working in a railway or perhaps a music museum, or there's a Laurel and Hardy museum, I love Stan and Ollie, only problem with that it's in Ulverston. Cumbria, birthplace of Stan Laurel, so is rather  far. There doesn't seem to be many (railway) museums near here.

OH yes Trainspotter you'd most likley know about this I wasn't a train driver tho I've driven two British Railways Class 31 diesels 31 202 and 31 282. For anyone who is wondering what I'm going on about re Class 31s here's a link. preserved-diesels.co.uk/.../index_31.htm

Children
No Data