Autism at Work

What are peoples opinions on disclosing your diagnosis to your employer? Have you disclosed it, at what point, and what happened? How was you treated by others at work, was it inclusive?

I was diagnosed this year and have been with the same employer for 7 years with very few difficulties. I had a tough time in a particular role but then changed to a more suitable one.

I disclosed my diagnosis in June but to date, the company hasn't actually agreed any reasonable adjustment.

Since I've never applied for a job having a diagnosis, I don't know whether and when I'd disclose it. I would be very cautious of doing so before receving an official contract offer, I'd rather get the job on my merits and I would worry I would be treated unfavourably by doing so. I don't think I would ever make use of the Guaranteed Inverview Scheme.

Parents
  • I never had a problem at work until the whole structure of work changed - duties, place and structure of work- due to a TUPE and my previous position being not available in the new organisation. (A TUPE happens when your employers duties are taken over by another and you are transferred to the new employer under the same terms and conditions as your old employer).

I was taken out of work I enjoyed doing and had control over to a position where I had no control over how I did the job or timescales.  The result - a massive meltdown and an extended period off with anxiety and depression (stress).

I had not previously declared my ASD, as it was not giving me any problems.  People thought I was 'strange' and had peculiar ways of solving problems, but I was accepted for what I was.

However, I now feel, due to my meltdown, that I had to declare it.  They are still procrastinating about what adjustments to give but they don't seem to understand that I just cannot turn off my condition at will.  It is there, in the background, ready to manifest itself when the occasion arises.

I can't pretend things are positive at all, far from it, but I am hopeful of some mutually agreed resolution - eventually!

• I never had a problem at work until the whole structure of work changed - duties, place and structure of work- due to a TUPE and my previous position being not available in the new organisation. (A TUPE happens when your employers duties are taken over by another and you are transferred to the new employer under the same terms and conditions as your old employer).

I was taken out of work I enjoyed doing and had control over to a position where I had no control over how I did the job or timescales.  The result - a massive meltdown and an extended period off with anxiety and depression (stress).

I had not previously declared my ASD, as it was not giving me any problems.  People thought I was 'strange' and had peculiar ways of solving problems, but I was accepted for what I was.

However, I now feel, due to my meltdown, that I had to declare it.  They are still procrastinating about what adjustments to give but they don't seem to understand that I just cannot turn off my condition at will.  It is there, in the background, ready to manifest itself when the occasion arises.

I can't pretend things are positive at all, far from it, but I am hopeful of some mutually agreed resolution - eventually!

Children
No Data