Autism at Work

What are peoples opinions on disclosing your diagnosis to your employer? Have you disclosed it, at what point, and what happened? How was you treated by others at work, was it inclusive?

I was diagnosed this year and have been with the same employer for 7 years with very few difficulties. I had a tough time in a particular role but then changed to a more suitable one.

I disclosed my diagnosis in June but to date, the company hasn't actually agreed any reasonable adjustment.

Since I've never applied for a job having a diagnosis, I don't know whether and when I'd disclose it. I would be very cautious of doing so before receving an official contract offer, I'd rather get the job on my merits and I would worry I would be treated unfavourably by doing so. I don't think I would ever make use of the Guaranteed Inverview Scheme.

Parents
  • Hi KillerQueen1971,

Hmm, i see what you mean - some people just dont care, or get scared because they have to waste their money to train you (a lot of old rubbish). the trick is is to say you have got aspergers but show them evidence that you are capable enough to take on this job. Things like certificates of achievements, anything like that. 

Your right about leaving - i wouldnt hang around this manager for sure - sounds like a nasty piece of work! 

Good Luck! 

Belle x 

• Hi KillerQueen1971,

Hmm, i see what you mean - some people just dont care, or get scared because they have to waste their money to train you (a lot of old rubbish). the trick is is to say you have got aspergers but show them evidence that you are capable enough to take on this job. Things like certificates of achievements, anything like that. 

Your right about leaving - i wouldnt hang around this manager for sure - sounds like a nasty piece of work! 

Good Luck! 

Belle x 

Children
No Data