Autism at Work

What are peoples opinions on disclosing your diagnosis to your employer? Have you disclosed it, at what point, and what happened? How was you treated by others at work, was it inclusive?

I was diagnosed this year and have been with the same employer for 7 years with very few difficulties. I had a tough time in a particular role but then changed to a more suitable one.

I disclosed my diagnosis in June but to date, the company hasn't actually agreed any reasonable adjustment.

Since I've never applied for a job having a diagnosis, I don't know whether and when I'd disclose it. I would be very cautious of doing so before receving an official contract offer, I'd rather get the job on my merits and I would worry I would be treated unfavourably by doing so. I don't think I would ever make use of the Guaranteed Inverview Scheme.

Parents
  • Hi gramit108

I believe that its important to - as your employer and other employers will have a clearer understanding and work with you and not go behind your back or call your nasty names when you dont act the way that they do. 

For me, i disclosed it not in my CV,  but at the interview itself - i know its scary, but if they are a good employer, they will admire you on your bravery. Luckily for me, they accept people who are different and welcomed me with open arms. 

Its all about trust. Look at the person and ask yourself if you trust them. I'm sure that they wont treat you horribly - employers should NEVER EVER DO THAT. 

But do remember, it is your choice to.

Hope this helps,

Belle x 

• Hi gramit108

I believe that its important to - as your employer and other employers will have a clearer understanding and work with you and not go behind your back or call your nasty names when you dont act the way that they do. 

For me, i disclosed it not in my CV,  but at the interview itself - i know its scary, but if they are a good employer, they will admire you on your bravery. Luckily for me, they accept people who are different and welcomed me with open arms. 

Its all about trust. Look at the person and ask yourself if you trust them. I'm sure that they wont treat you horribly - employers should NEVER EVER DO THAT. 

But do remember, it is your choice to.

Hope this helps,

Belle x 

Children
No Data